seventeen: annoy luca day

The last time I fought for a woman in my life, I knew she would be a permanent fixture in my life considering my brother proposed to her just weeks later

Remi ... is an enigma. What's to say she doesn't leave as soon as she gets her son back and we get rid of Ghost? Would she even be open to staying or even coming back to Italy with me?

Why am I thinking about this when I have bigger things ahead of me? Because you like her, idiota.

I don't know exactly when it happened or how it happened, but seeing her strength and the way she cares and fights for her son was enough to have me fawning over her.

And last night didn't help. She fell asleep on my chest, her head on my heart as she'd cuddled into me. The fact that she allowed me to comfort her also played a factor.

I remember the guarded woman she was before — how she'd flinch away when I tried to touch her, how she spoke cautiously in my presence. And now, she's crying into my shoulder and allowing me to see her vulnerable.

This isn't like me. I don't like people. I fuck them and move on. I fuck them and distract myself.

But with Remi, it's easy. The pain is weightless on my shoulders and she does it without even trying —

"Luca, idiota. Wake up." Adriano's voice snaps me from my thoughts and I roll my eyes.

Angel chuckles from the back seat, fiddling with one of his guns, "He's fantasizing about the woman he left in bed, Adri. He's a taken man."

I roll my eyes again. Domenico scoffs from the passenger seat and speaks, "Zitti, stronzi. (Shut up assholes)" He sends me a look and I ignore it, "Her son?"

I clear my throat, following the black SUV with more of our men, "Yes."

"You don't like kids."

"I like yours."

"She's your niece. You have to." He deadpans and I chuckle at his words. He scoffs in amusement and adjusts his vest. "Her name is Remi?"

I hum in confirmation.

"Does she know you like her?"

I huff through my nose. Is today 'Annoy Luca' day? "I don't know." I hope not. Or maybe the opposite. I haven't decided if her knowing is a good thing yet. "Maybe, maybe not."

"She has to." Adriano scoffs, "You're out here rescuing her son without question."

"Because I want to."

"Ah," Angel chuckles and hits Adriano's arm, "Hear that? Because he wants to." The two share a laugh before Angel shrugs nonchalantly, "I'm just excited to kill some motherfuckers."

Domenico furrows his brows but remains facing forward, "Yeah, Serina definitely gets it from you."

•••

We finally arrive one mile out from the safe house, now hiding our cars so we don't alarm anyone. Strapping my vest on tightly and loading the different compartments with my different weapons, I keep my eyes on my phone reading and rereading the text thread Remi sent me while I was driving.

Remi West
You're right, I don't accept help. I don't like asking for it or accepting it because it makes me feel weak, embarrassed, self-conscious ... I don't know.

And throughout it all, you still chose to ignore me and help anyway.

Thank you. I know this isn't how you'd want to spend your Thanksgiving — warring against another gang but ... it means a lot to me.

I try to wipe the smile from my face but seeing her give in to my help is enough to make my heart light up.

Ew, I'm turning into Domenico.

come on now luca, you know you like it