thirty: pissant

For the first time in my twenty-seven years on earth, I find joy in the simple things — sleeping in with my beautiful woman on my chest, brushing my teeth with Remi, making breakfast with her, spending time with her and Jori who's been running alo...

For the first time in my twenty-seven years on earth, I find joy in the simple things — sleeping in with my beautiful woman on my chest, brushing my teeth with Remi, making breakfast with her, spending time with her and Jori who's been running along the sand while we watch him.

With Remi between my legs and my arms propping us up, I can't help the smile that grows on my face as I feel her rub my thigh.

I kiss her cheek, "I love you."

Her movements stop as she turns to me, crossing her legs as she stares at me with furrowed brows. As much as I wanted to believe that I shocked myself, I really only stopped myself from saying it days ago. I've never felt like this for someone.

And the longer she'd looked at me and spoken her kind words with her beautiful soul, the farther I found myself falling.

"You love me?" The moment is serene between us as she caresses my cheeks with her cool fingers. I nod, wrapping my arms around her back as I adjust so she can be closer to my chest.

"I love you." I repeat, heart pounding against my chest so hard I wouldn't be surprised if she felt it herself.

She leans forward and presses a kiss to my lips, "You love me." The words don't follow with a question mark. It's like she's confirming it with herself, replaying the words over and over in her head — trying to come to terms with it. "The last time someone told me he loved me, he broke my heart. Are you going to break my heart, Luciano?"

I hold her face in my hands, eyes searching hers as I hold her steady. "I am not him, Remi. I am Luciano Matteo Santino." I say with every piece of sincerity inside of me, "I will love you with every cell in my scarred body. I will protect your heart as if it were my own. I will be the man you deserve. I swear on my cross."

My words seem to be the reassurance she needed because she leans forward and kisses my lips once more, lips trembling against mine.

"I love you too." She mumbles, hands shaking as she holds me.

My heart bursts at her confession and I can't help the wide smile that appears on my face.

"I love you, Luca."

•••

The drive back to the house was filled with Remi and Jori singing to Disney songs that she was playing. As much as I wanted us to stay at the beach house longer, Domenico so gracefully reminded me that we still had business to attend to.

Ghost is still out there and it's best for us to get him before he has any smart ideas. Though I doubt he could do any damage to us — he's practically a pissant under my boot.

When we finally arrive home, Remi and Jori make their escape to the movie room to watch or rewatch, I should say, Moana. However, Remi and I didn't part ways without stalling for a couple of minutes to share some kisses.

Jori, as usual, paid us no mind and began running around the house, a newly awoken Adriano chasing after him.

"I don't think I can get enough of you." I'd mumbled against Remi's lips as Jori zoomed past Adri who was still rubbing his eyes of sleep.

She smiled her beautiful smile and wrapped her arms around me, "Well, you're going to have to. You have your meeting. Even though I was hoping to be a part of it."

I arch a brow, "You'll be in the next one. Promise."

She pouts, "Look, Ghost is a sneaky little bitch. He has safe houses for his safe houses and New York is practically his playground. If your first attempt to get him doesn't work out —"

"It'll work out, Remi."

She tilts her head, "If it doesn't work out, give it a break until after the holidays. Jori would love for you to be here for his birthday."

"Ouch," I brush an eyelash off her cheek, my lips forming a sarcastic pout, "Just Jori?"

She rolls her eyes playfully, "Maybe me too."

I cast a glance to Jori who was scooped up by Adriano, a boisterous laugh escaping his small body.

She rests her head on my chest, "He really loves you."

I kiss the top of her head, "I love him too." Taking her face in my hands, I kiss her pushed out lips, "I'll take the break if it doesn't work out."

She smiles up at me, eyes adorably squinted, "Thank you."

"I'll come find you when we're done." I kiss her forehead one last time and call out to my brother, "Adri, andiamo (let's go)."

im this 👌🏾 close to skipping adri's book and going straight to angel's cause im feeling ✨ inspired ✨

im this 👌🏾 close to skipping adri's book and going straight to angel's cause im feeling inspired

also, Rest In Peace to the queen betty white ❤️

also also, in case this is my last update of the year (which i doubt it is), i hope y'all have a blessed 2022 and i pray everyone receives all the blessings you deserve!

happy new year!!! 🎊🎆