Chapter 14: Wandering Child

The cemetery looked deserted and forbidding. The entire plot of land was fenced off with iron bars that kept unwelcome visitors from desecrating graves. Not only were the iron bars just a little bit unsettling (even during the summer time), mist had settled over the earth and was snaking through the headstones and the tombs like a mass of writhing snakes. The sky was a grayish white; no sunlight could be seen peeking through the thick layer of clouds. The few trees that grew around the cemetery were dead and barren of leaves. Overall, it was just a very bleak scene.

          Castiel opened the cemetery’s gate causing it to let out a long, eerie creak. He entered slowly, his eyes scanning his surroundings as if he feared a ghost would emerge from the fog. It sounded almost foolish to think about, but then again he had not had much luck with phantoms lately.

          As Castiel made his way to his father’s grave, he felt an overwhelming sense of grief. He had not thought of his father for a few months – his mind had been occupied on other, more pressing matters. But now, he could devote all of his attention to his deceased father.

          Dmitri Novak died with Castiel was just seven-years-old. His wife, Victoria, died during childbirth which meant that the only companion Castiel had for the earliest and most crucial years of his life was his father. Dmitri was a kind soul – he was the reason Castiel was so caring and so gentle with those around him. Dmitri had always taught him to judge someone based on their character, not their appearance. He had done all he could to teach Castiel kindness and responsibility, even when his body failed him.

          His father was also the reason Castiel loved to sing. When he was young, his father would spend many evenings playing the violin in the den of their small house. Dmitri taught Castiel the lyrics to those songs and let him sing along. He gave Castiel an interest in music and opened up his world to so many new possibilities. And for that, Castiel would always be grateful.

          When Dmitri finally did pass away from Tuberculosis, he promised Castiel that he would send him the Angel of Music. In a way, Castiel knew that it was one of those gentle, white lies that people tell to comfort others. But when Dean appeared and claimed to be Castiel’s Angel of Music, he wanted so desperately to believe that it was true.

          He missed his father – missed him more than anything in the world. In a way, Dean had been a substitute for his father when he was young. He had looked up to Dean for guidance – he looked to Dean to teach him the ways of the world. Not only that, but it was because of Dmitri that Castiel believed in Dean – why he allowed himself to fall in love with the Phantom of the Opera. Because he believed that he was some kind of Angel sent by his father to look after him.

          Castiel sighed. How naïve he had been! How foolish! But the past was in the past, and it could not be changed.

          “Clarence thought of everything and nothing,” Castiel whispered to himself as he walked throughout the graves. “His father promised him that he would send him the Angel of Music. His father promised him . . . His father promised him . . .”

          In his grief, Castiel began to sing. Even now, it was his sole comfort. It made the pain just a bit easier to bear.

You were once my one companion.

You were all that mattered.

You were once a friend and father . . .

Then my world was shattered.

Wishing you were somehow here again,