Chapter 20: No One Would Listen

Dean made no sound. He didn’t yell, or scream, or cry, or sob – that would come later. At that moment in time, Dean was in both shock and denial. This is a dream, he thought. This is just a sick, twisted dream. He stared at Castiel’s body, his eyes slowly filling with tears. Any joy and happiness he might have felt was drained from his body. He’s not dead . . . He is not dead.

          “Oh my God,” Meg said softly, dropping the pistol on the stone floor. “Castiel!?” She ran toward him, collapsing on the ground next to his body. Meg let out a strangled sob and covered her mouth with her hand. “CASTIEL!” She shook his body violently, trying to elicit some kind of response.

          But it was too late.

          Dean crawled over, then. His stomach was twisted in a painful knot, and he had a physical pain in his chest. He stared at Castiel’s lifeless face, his mouth open slightly. The blue eyes that had been staring at him with love only moments ago were now permanently closed. His face was pale – almost grayish in color. And yet, Dean thought he looked . . . peaceful. He’s gone . . . Dean thought, finally seeming to acknowledge this fact. My angel . . . My angel is gone.

          And then, Dean began to sob. His entire body shook as he did so, and his voice reverberated off the stone walls. He covered his face with his hands and let out a heartbroken wail. “CASTIEL!”

          Meg stood suddenly. She walked over the pistol on the floor and took the gun in her hands once more. “I killed him,” she cried to herself. Her soft voice could barely be heard over Dean’s loud lament. “I did this . . . I killed Castiel . . .” And with that, Meg pressed the barrel of the gun to the side of her head and pulled the trigger.

- - - -

          Sam, Balthazar, Kevin, Gabriel, and Zachariah made their way swiftly through the labyrinth. Each held guns, preparing themselves for the worst. Balthazar was at Sam’s right hand, his entire body filled with unease. Something didn’t feel right – not that having your best friend kidnapped by a psychotic musical genius would feel right, of course.

          “CASTIEL!” a voice suddenly roared through the tunnels. The five men came to a halt and listened closely. About thirty seconds later, a gunshot sounded.

          Balthazar’s gut clenched in fear. Sam grabbed the older man’s arm and jerked him forward. “C’mon!” he shouted to the others, sprinting down the narrow passage. Balthazar followed close on Sam’s heels. After what seems like an eternity to the dancer, they reached what appeared to be a small, underground lake. A metal gate divided the lake in the middle, keeping the men from what lay on the opposite shore.

          Through the metal bars, Balthazar could make out a small alcove that was filled with candles. Not only that, but it seemed to be furnished as well. Then he realized: this was the Phantom’s lair. This was where he dwelt beneath the opera house.

          Sam walked over to a nearby wall and pressed on one of the stones. There was a faint sound that reached Balthazar’s ears that almost sounded like gears grinding against each other. Out of the corner of his eyes, he saw the metal gate rise out of the water. Not waiting for the others to follow, Sam jumped into the water. Balthazar didn’t hesitate and followed . . . and then immediately regretted it. The water was dreadfully cold and seemed to drain the warmth out of the dancer’s body. Jos teeth began to chatter, and he began to question all the decisions he made that brought him to this point.