Chapter Four: Hope is not the Goal

MG's Mindscape (Mystic Falls Woods)

MG pants for breath as he runs as fast as he can (though only at human speed) through the woods outside the school. He can only run in circles as he heads into a large clearing that is close enough that the exterior lights of the Salvatore Boarding School can be seen. MG looks around in a panic just as a loud roaring noise is heard close by. At a loss for options, MG swears under his breath. "Come on, man! I'm a lovable virgin! It's not my time!"

The roaring sound is heard again, accompanied by loud, stomping footsteps. MG crosses his arms protectively over his chest and closes his eyes before quietly calming himself down. "I'm gonna open my eyes, and everything's gonna be fine. Opening my eyes in three..." he slowly turns with his eyes still closed in the direction of his pursuer. "Two... one..." he opens his eyes to find, to his horror, that Gorilla Grodd from The Flash television series is standing right in front of him. He shrieks in terror as Grodd roars at him once again.

"GRODD!"

MG awakens with a gasp to find himself in bed in his room at school. He sits up, clad in Salvatore School pajamas, and notices that he has fallen asleep reading comic books about the DC Comics character Grodd. Sighing, he dangles his feet over the edge of the bed as though he's about to stand up, only to freeze when he hears floorboards creaking nearby. He slowly turns his head toward his closet, squinting his eyes when he sees movement inside. Suddenly, an unknown person wearing the Ghostface mask from the Scream movies leaps out toward MG with a huge knife in his hand, leaving MG with no choice but to protect his face with his hands and scream.

"GHOSTFACE!"

MG once again jerks awake, revealing that he's just had a dream within a dream. When he realizes that he's finally safe, he takes a deep breath and falls back against his pillows.

Salvatore Boarding School (Kitchen)

MG pads down to the kitchen, where he walks over to the large steel refrigerator. Still spooked from his dream, he hesitates and takes a deep breath before opening the fridge door, breathing a sigh of relief when nothing jumps out to get him. Inside the fridge are shelves of blood donation bags with the Salvatore "S" printed on them, and MG grabs one as a snack. When he closes the door, he's startled to find Kaleb on the other side of it and immediately jumps at his friend's greeting.

"Boo."

"Ahhh!"

MG takes a deep breath to steady himself and glares at Kaleb for embarrassing him.

"Come on, man."

Kaleb can't help but laugh in amusement as he claps MG on the shoulder good-naturedly and walks past him toward the sink.

"Sorry, bruh. Too easy. Oh..."

When Kaleb moves past him, MG realizes that he's wearing street clothes and not pajamas and frowns in confusion. "Where were you?"