Chapter Six: Mombie Dearest

Salvatore Boarding School (Alaric's Office)

Alaric talks in a heated voice with Caroline on the phone, his back turned away from the door. On his desk is a large book opened to reveal a variety of symbols, sigils, and runes.

"I know what you're doing is important, Caroline..."

He tosses a notebook with the symbol the dryad carved into the table at the cabin drawn onto it on the desk, clearly frustrated.

"But how do I tell the girls that their mom is going to miss their sixteenth birthday? I can't exactly tell them what you're really involved in."

Out in the hallway, a woman in the wedding dress walks through the school, the hem of her lace and tulle dress dragging on the floor. She finally makes it to Alaric's office and reaches out with her left hand to slowly twist the doorknob to enter the room.

Alaric sighs listening to Caroline speak on the other end. "I-I am nowhere near cracking this case. I have a knife, I have a symbol, I have a place, sort of... But I don't know what any of it means, a-and I don't know what's connecting it, and I don't know what monster is coming next!"

Just then, a female voice speaks from behind Alaric as the woman in the wedding dress enters the office through the waiting room.

"Ric?"

Alaric turns around and is stunned speechless by the sight of Jo Laughlin, his deceased wife, standing before him. After a long moment of gaping at Jo, who looks equally confused, he finally finds his voice and ends the call with Caroline. " ...I've got to call you back."

He hangs up the phone.

Out in the hallway, classes are being dismissed as Dorian discusses something with one of the students when Alaric's frantic shout is heard.

"Dorian!"

Dorian apologizes to the student before running toward the headmaster's office.

Back in the office, Alaric grabs and loads a crossbow he keeps under his desk for just such occasions and aims it at Jo, who puts her hands up in a non-threatening gesture. Dorian rushes into the room and looks at the both of them in confusion.

"Are you okay?"

He holds up his hands in alarm, not sure what is going on, as Jo immediately tries to talk Alaric down.

"Whoa, whoa! Ric, if you could just put down the crossbow...? My freak-out level is about eleven right now."

Dorian frowns in confusion as he looks at Alaric. "You know her?"

Alaric keeps his crossbow aimed steadily at Jo. "I know who she's supposed to be."

Dorian glances back and forth between the two. "Who...?"

"The love of my life."

"Wait, wait, wait, wait, wait--" Jo tries to deescalate the situation.

Dorian nervously walks toward Alaric to get between him and Jo trying to put some space between them. "Hold up, hold up, Ric..."