Chapter Seven: Death Keeps Knocking on My Door

1:48 AM; Salvatore Boarding School (Back Lake)

"You're alive! Oh, thank God." Caroline took a deep breath, grateful that she didn't let a kid die in her arms on her first day back. Then it hit her. "Wait... how are you alive?"

For a moment Lexie didn't hate the older woman, and then it all came rushing back. She pulled herself out of Caroline's arms standing up on unsteady feet. "Luck I guess."

"You're a vampire." She stood as well, still trying to take in the fact that the teenager before her was Lexie Harlow.

"Great guess. Why are you here?" Lexie looked anywhere but the woman she once considered her aunt.

The older blonde shrugged and glanced towards the school, the uneasy feeling came back at just the thought of facing, well, anyone inside. "I-" she stopped when she realized she didn't have a valid reason anyone knew about to say, "-missed my kids." There. A valid reason to come home; too bad she failed them weeks ago.

Lexie wrung out her shirt watching as the water dripped from it, "I thought you weren't coming."

Confusion flashed across her face, but she forced herself to table it and focus. "God, you must be freezing, do you wanna go inside or something? Get something to eat or drink? Some new clothes?"

She shrugged, "I guess I am a little hungry."

"Okay, c'mon." She turned, lingering behind Lexie as they walked. She tried to ignore the growing pit of anxiety in her stomach. How is she still possibly freaking out when the younger girl literally died. Nothing bad even happened to Caroline, and here she was: panicking.

Lexie walked slowly back to the school, she felt like someone was taking a hammer and pounding it against her skull over and over again and the overwhelming urge to feed was getting stronger.

Caroline looked up from the ground. "Wait- what's happening? Why was no one around to help you-" she stopped herself from rambling off a slew of questions.

Lexie scoffed, "Did you already forget? It's the twins' birthday, there's a huge party in the gym." She looked up, "Or at least there was, I don't know how long it's been."

"I didn't forget and why weren't you there if there was a party?"

"I was headed to the party, I just didn't make it." She sighed, "Josie is going to be so mad at me."

Caroline was only half-listening, instead turning her attention to listen for any signs of a party anywhere. "I don't hear anything."

She shrugged, "Like I said, I don't know how long I've been floating in the lake, it could have ended hours ago."

"What time was it when you were heading over? To the party."

"You mean when I died? You don't have to act like it didn't happen, Miss Forbes." She looked up for a second trying to remember. "I think it was around eight."