chapter 1-

six years later 

"ein dearest have you been practising using your voice" sophie said with a gentle smile as she has just gotten back home from hiking seeing ein laying on the couch watching a cartoon.

he looked up smiling and gave a big nod accomponied with a small "yes".

you see ein is able to use his voice however due to the damage caused by the wolves he can only talk a certain amount of time before he starts to cough blood. alongside him being able to use his voice from time to time he also regained some memories of friends like jax and ryder.

" well thats good dear, i found your favorite berries growing and grabbed them for you as a treat" sophie said as she sat her bags filled with herbs, berrys, and fish she caught from a frozen pond not to far from the cabin house. 

as sophie was starting to prepare dinner ein went to take a shower. while ein does have an unatural sweet smell he likes to mess around with different scents so tonight he was trying a special soap he got from the store 'block,body, and bath'. the scent he was trying was called candied cherry which was supposed to smell like those sweet cherrys in candy stores.

"hmm jax and rider said they were planning on going to some resortand they invited me but how to i bring this up to sophie without insulting her?" he asked himself as he was getting dressed and checking his phone.

"ein food's done!" sophie yelled from down the hall as he had just put his shirt on.

he wanted to reply but knew the strain on his vocal cords would be to much, and he for one did not plan on being in pain tonight. so wordlessly he got up from his bed and went to the kitchen to join in on eating.

about halfway through their meal ein hesitated before he said," hey sophie"gaining her attention.

"yes dear?" she questioned

gulping nervously ein continued

"jax and ryder invited me to a resort and i was wondering if i could go tomorrow" he said looking down as he was getting more anxious with every word. when he finally looked up he saw her smiling face.

"well if you're talking this much then you must really want to go" she said sighing," just...just promise me you'll come back home safe" she added on after a bit of silence.

"I will i promis-" he said coughing at the end.

"no need to talk anymore tonight child, just go text ryder and jax and clean up while i pack some things for you" she said getting up.

as she went to his room ein got his phone and texted the group chat for him,jax, and ryder that he can go and to ask them to pick him up. once he was sure the message was sent he went to wash the dishes.

 as he was just finishing up he heard sophie enter the kitchen area. so he turned aroundto face her shocked to see tears in her eyes. drying his hand he hurried to  see what was making her cry but she just chuckled.

" i'm fine i was just caught up in memories of the past"she said immidiatly making ein's face soften and pulling her into a tight but gentle hug as she started sobbing into his neck.

the reason for sophies tears is quite simple. before living with ein she lived with her brother, her everything, but he also left to go on a slight trip but never returned. he left behind and ex-wife and kids who would come and comfort sophie but even that didnt fill the hole in her heart, only left her wanting more. when she found and adopted ein she had a feeling of love she hasnt felt for years in her hear, so hearing that ein wanted to go on a trip has brought back the fears of the same thing happening to him.

fighting through pain ein says," I'll never let you feel that pain again...mom"

_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_

word count: 676