Chapter 3

I was in the middle of my advanced music theory class when I saw Nat for the first time. My old, boring teacher, Ms. Smith announced that a "very talented and well-known young musician" was going to be mentoring us for the rest of the summer. When he walked through the door, on cue, some girls started screaming, others crying. Honestly, I had no idea who the hell Nat Wolff was.

But for the rest of class, while Ms. Smith continued droning on and on about "the importance of music theory," I was taking notice of how incredibly handsome Nat really was.

The next day, Nat interrupted my private jazz piano lesson. He snuck into the practice room and watched me for a good twenty minutes. While I was in the middle of playing Autumn Leaves, Nat turned to my teacher and tapped him on the shoulder. "Would you mind if I sat and worked with April for a little bit?" Nat asked.
I remember getting butterflies when Nat said my name. The night before, I sat in my bed with my laptop and looked up Nat Wolff. I listened to some of his songs and watched clips of his movies... I had to admit that he was pretty damn good.

I also found out that he was 19 years old, which disappointed me at the time because I was only 15.

And so during my lesson, he slid next to me on the piano bench--Our butts were practically touching.
"Here, try this," he said.
He took my hands and positioned them over the piano keys so that my fingers were perfectly curved.
I played through the whole piece perfectly, grinning.
When I was finished, I looked up at him and our eyes met. We stared at each other for a good 10 seconds, before I looked away.

A silly, schoolgirl crush on the senior boy was all it was. I thought nothing of it...until later that night...