Chapter 6

This is a long chapter hehe

(Present)

I bite my lip and push my jacket off of my shoulders. Nat watches it fall to the ground, then he looks back up at me.
I'm wearing a short red dress and heels. I don't know why I chose to wear this, but I'm kind of glad I did.

He slowly walks over to me and wraps his hands around my waistline. I press my lips against his, and he kisses back.
I get this weird tingling sensation in my body that I've never felt before.

I reach up and play with his hair, still kissing him, harder now. Our bodies move as one.

I follow him up the stairs to his bedroom, and we both collapse on his bed, breathless. He glances at me, one last time, and raises an eyebrow at me, as if to make sure that I'm ready. I give him a nod as he reaches into his dresser drawer.
****
We lay between the sheets in Nat's bed afterwards, my head resting on his bare chest. I trace circles on his stomach and listen to his soft breaths.
The whole time he kept asking me if I was okay. I kept telling him yes; im stronger than I look.
But overall it was pretty good. My First Time was with someone I really care about, and someone who really cares about me.
*****
This went on for quite some time--about a month. I would come over his house on a Saturday night, and we'd make sweet love. Then we'd talk for a while afterwards until we drifted off. He always made me breakfast in the morning, and then I would go home around 10am.

And it worked out because my parents always went out on Saturday nights to get drunk, and then when I got home I would say that I stayed over my friend's house.

And Nat cared about me. He was always gentle with me, like he was afraid I'd break.

One night we were lying in his bed, and I was just staring into space, trying to forget the world.

"What are you thinking about?" Nat asked, gently caressing my hair.

I took a deep breath, trying to fight the tears. I hated showing my weak side around Nat.

"We had to sell my piano," I said shakily.

"Ohh April," he looked at me sympathetically.

We lay there in silence for a few minutes.

"You know, as I kid I never really had anything that I could call my own. Like yeah, I had toys and dolls, but I never had anything special. Then, when I was seven, my parents bought me this beautiful baby grand piano for my birthday. They'd been saving up for it for three years. That was the one thing I could call mine. It was all mine. It never required batteries, and had no rules. I used to play that thing until my fingers bled.... And then things started getting hard. My dad lost his job and we had to move into this small apartment. There was barely any room for that old piano anyway. And then yesterday I came home and my piano was gone. My mom sold it to some rich family who will probably never lay a finger on it..."

"Oh no April I'm so sorry," Nat said. He pulled me closer and wrapped his arms around my body. For the first time in a long time, I finally felt safe.
*******
Today, however, something odd happened. Nat called me instead.

"Hey April, I've missed you," he says.

"I've missed you too," I whisper through the phone.

"Do you want to come over tonight? I have a surprise for you." I can hear him smiling through the phone

"Um sure," I say, grabbing my keys, not quite sure what to expect. I slip my shoes on and run out to my car. I sit there with the keys in the ignition for a good ten minutes.
Questions keep circling around in my mind: Why am I doing this? What is the purpose? Why have I been so miserable lately?

I finally start pulling out of my driveway, questioning my decisions all the way to Nat's house.
*****
When I finally get there, I have this sick feeling in my stomach. Something's just not right.

I shouldn't have come tonight.

I stand at Nat's door and knock gently. It's raining out--just like the day when we first reunited. Nat opens it, dressed in a suit and tie, with a big grin on his face.

He pulls me in and presses his lips against mine. He starts to pull off my coat, kissing me all the way down my neck.
Without even thinking, I pull away from his embrace.

He looks at me longingly.
"April? What's wrong?"
He takes a step closer to me, while I take two steps back.

"Do you ever just wonder what this is?" I say, gesturing to us.
"Like what are we? What does all of this mean?"

"April, where is this coming from?" Nat asks.

"Sometimes I wonder what you're getting out of this." I start to raise my voice. "Am I just an easy target? Am I easy to fuck and then forget about?"

I start to cry. Dammit, April, stop crying. Stop crying, I think to myself.

Nat walks toward me and holds me in his embrace. I cry into his chest. I cry like a baby. He leads me over to the couch and we sit down together.

"April, I care about you so much," he says. "I've been crazy about you ever since the day we met!"

I look up and wipe away my tears. "But Nat I'm 16...You're 20. I'm not sure how long I'm going to be able to do this...It's a treacherous drive from my house to here. I just... I don't know anymore Nat. Maybe it would just be easier if we-"

"April, I love you," Nat blurts out.

He takes me completely by surprise.
I sit there and stare at him, shocked.

"I-I didn't think anyone was capable of loving me..." I whisper.

"Oh April..." He pulls me into a tight hug. "You are loved."

We stay like that for a while, silent tears running down my cheeks.

After a couple of minutes Nat pulls away and looks me right in the eyes. "I'm ready to commit to a real relationship if you are," he whispers in my ear.

I smile through my tears. "I am."

I follow Nat up the stairs to his bed. Only this time, we don't have sex. We just lie there together, our bodies pressed up against one another. Right as i am about to drift off into a deep sleep, I whisper back: "I love you too."

{The feels! Comment below if you want me to continue ;) }