Golden - Ending 3/3

It had almost been a year to the day since you had lost consciousness on the veranda of the dorms. And everyone was slowly piecing their lives back together. Some semblance of normalcy. Friendships needed to be rebuilt, trust remade and forgiveness offered.

The tension in the Bangtan dorm was suffocatingly thick. Taehyung struggled to contain himself when in Jimin's presence. Yoongi maintained a courteous but cautious distance from him, opting to stick himself to Tae in order to keep him in check when working.

The two friends hadn't talked since that night. Their conversation was less than pleasant, Jimin only able to express shock, and Tae only being fueled by anger, his words spitting out of him like acid. He knew it wasn't purely Jimin's fault, but he couldn't take it out on you.... Not any more.

Walking along the river side, Taehyung makes his way idly. Not really thinking about where he's going, he just felt claustrophobic in the dorms. Slowing his steps, he looks up to see a light festival. The same one you, him and Yoongi had been to last year. His eyes glaze over remembering the good times. The only true few times he now knew you were happy.

Trailing around the strings of lights, his gaze focuses on a figure leaning against the rivers railing on the far end, behind the canopies. The lights reflect off of the water creating a golden vibrant glow. Concentrating on his breathing, he forces one foot in front of the other, heading in the figure's direction. Almost like someone was pushing him forward a golden haze he hadn't noticed before dusting his feet. Unable to stop himself, until right next to the other male. Leaning back against the railing, he inhales deeply for one final time. Now or never.

"I'm sorry that I've been taking it out on you." Taehyung finally says, staring at the lights of the festival. "I know it's not your fault."

"No, I am to blame." Jimin contradicts, unmoving from his position. Unable to look at his friend. "I should have known-I put her through so much. It's all my fault. You have every right to be furious with me, to never want to speak to or see me again."

"She knew what she was doing Jimin." Taehyung sighs, it wasn't a lie, because even at the end you knew. "She made her choice and allowed you to do the same. I'm just angry because... "

Choking on his own voice, he tries to fight back the emotions he's been hiding away, hiding away for so long. But they are bubbling to the surface and his self made dam breaks.

"....she broke her promise." Tears streaming down Taehyung's face as he looks up to the Kosmos.

"I wish she told me." Jimin whispers, eyes still trained on the glowing golden shimmer of the river..

"Would you have trusted her if she did?" Taehyung asks hoarsely, swallowing hard to regain himself. "Would you have wanted to stay bonded?"

Jimin doesn't answer at first, but then slowly shakes his head no.

"Honestly, are you happier now that you don't have a soul bond?" Taehyung asks. Deadpanning at the now golden glistening lights, as the happy atmosphere of the festival, dims in his eyes.

Jimins whole body tenses, he's unsure of what to say. How to answer...does he lie or tell his friend the horrible truth?

"Please." Taehyung breathes, pleading. He needs to know, he's desperate to know if what you've chosen was in vain.

"Yes. I feel a huge sense of relief, no more anxiety....." Jimin speaks softly. Choosing not to lie. Picking his words carefully. "Just an overwhelming feeling of guilt and disgust towards myself."

"Don't." Taehyung stops his friend. "That's not what she would have wanted. We both know that deep down."

"Taehyung-ie - can we....are we... I don't want....." Jimin lets out a small sob, shoulders hunched up. Refusing to make eye contact. "to lose you."

"I don't want to lose you either." Taehyung sniffles back any remaining tears, still not looking at Jimin either.

Then a golden shimmer catches his eye towards the light festival. His gaze follows a glittering golden shimmer weave through people in the air, like an opac cloud moving with purpose and direction. In the instance of a blink he sees your transparent form standing down the end of the path, smiling at them fondly. Nodding your head you scrunch your nose. Taehyung smiles at you, finally feeling the weight of everything lift from his body. He nods back at you.

A couple passes by in front of you, and it's as though you had evaporated back into the golden shimmer. The cloud swirls around momentarily before racing towards the darkened night sky.

Letting his eyes drop down to the ground. He chuckles lightly to himself.

"How about this," He hums, finally looking at Jimin. "Let me show you around this festival, Y/N loved the lights."

"I'd really like that." Jimin smiles as he straightens up and turns to him, at long last returning his gaze. And for the first time since that night they both felt like they could breathe again.