the friend and the lover

"Do you trust him?"

"Do you trust him?"

"I don't know do you?" I ask Tarver myself walking beside him in the dark halls of the castle.

"No." Of course he doesn't, Tarver doesn't trust anyone it seems.

"Do you think they could do it? Replace the king I mean?" I ask worried. I don't even know why, I mean there are great prospects if this cruel king finally retires but what they said won't leave my head. I knew it could come to this, I mean he was the prince after all but I never saw him as that.

Our bid is high on the prince if he makes his right choice he will rule this kingdom and we will swear our loyalty to him.

That's what Luc said right before we left and I couldn't ask any other questions. the proposition of Timothée becoming the next king seems to disrupt my whole picture of him. Of course I knew he was becoming the next king but it seems like I didn't realize it.

"The plan sounds pretty soundproof to me but I don't know if I believe this shit about the north and south rebels, I mean why didn't the north rebels say anything earlier? I'm sure many of them died during these so called harmless attacks."

I look up at him in thought. I can see why he's questioning Luc's credibility, I mean he could just tell us a load of bullshit to confuse us, run to the king and tell him false information. But something deep inside me trusts the teenager, I don't know why. The way he spoke of his plans, how the strategy sounded it just felt so familiar to me.

"It feels like this conversation didn't help the slightest bit, now we have answers to our old questions but it brought new questions with it. I wish we could've stayed longer maybe then-"

"It was long enough Kat, we still can't trust him and I won't let you get hurt just because we haven't gotten all answers."

I sigh annoyed at his words, my fingers clenching into fists. This whole thing of protecting me is seriously getting on my nerves.

We both stop walking when we reach the door to my bedroom and I try to wash the anger at him away but the second he looks at my face he knows it.

"You're angry."

"I'm not angry, I'm annoyed." Tarver sighs at my words and a tired look moves over his face.

"Why can't you see that I'm trying to protect you, like I always did."

"But you never needed to Tarver and you still don't need to. I don't need to be protected by anyone why can't you get this into your head." It feels like we're spiralling, we're fighting over the same things every time and even though fighting is the least thing I want to do with Tarver it seems like it's what we do most of the times.

"I'm gonna go now." He says without reacting to my words.

"I don't want to fight Kat not over something like this, I love you too much for that." And just with these words he makes me feel like the shittiest person on this planet.