Page 17 - The Boss Battle (1/2)

They've formed an arrow formation, with Astraeus leading the front, while Lucien and Ingrid lag a little bit behind, on his sides. They don't want to get in his way while he battles, leaving him enough space to back away. 

"Tatatata! So you finally have gotten a plan together to fight me? However, will it be enough to battle the great Maximilien? I'm a Silver-tier! You guys are just bronze! There's no way you can defeat me, or even come close to defeating me. The skill differences are obvious."

In the world of Godslayer, your rank is decided by the color of your Tower of Babel card. It goes up automatically with great feats that you've done, eliminating any sort of bureaucracy. However, coming with these levels is also a lot of discrimination. People are looked down on - even if they're strong if they are a bronze tier. Because of how vague ranking up is, no one knows how your card changes color, but the ranking system goes like this: Bronze, Iron, Silver, Gold, Platinum, Diamond, Orichalcum, and Corrupted Orichalcum.

The latter tiers come with their abilities. For example, a Silver-tier is given the ability to craft things out of various objects using magic and insert magic into various items to make the artifacts. No one knows what abilities are given by Orichalcum and Corrupted Orichalcum, but it is known that these abilities must be either passive abilities or utility ones. Mo offensive spells are given through ranking up, just ones to make adventurers' lives easier.

Maximilien had many of these artifacts, which made him even stronger than a normal class Silver-tier. This is going to be a disadvantageous fight, and will our heroes win?

Astraeus was the first to move. He kicks off the ground, rushing towards his opponent. Maximilien stands in place and places his hands in his pockets. It seemed like even with his opponent advancing towards him at an alarming rate, there was so much distance between them. Soon, Astraeus was pushed back. Maximilien didn't even move an inch. What happened?

Astraeus retreats to console his friends. "Yo, I can't approach this guy. Whenever I try, it feels like I run into a wall. Any ideas?" Ingrid grins. "I see. So, Maximilien is utilizing his artifacts. That stone wall shouldn't be an issue, because it doesn't cover around him, but it covers where he is looking. I'm pretty sure you could jump over it as well, Astraeus."

Lucien feels useless. "Are you kidding me? Do you think I can't jump over that stupid fucking wall? I'll show you the power of Lucien!"  Lucien runs towards Maximilien and jumps. He ends up with his ass on the floor. "Ow, ow ow! That hurts, man." Lucien stands up and brushes the dust off his clothes. "Fine, Astraeus, you can do this. When you hop over the wall, I'll flank him from the side with my sword, unleash demonic energy, and beat his skull in." 

"Sounds like a plan. Let's fucking do this." Astraeus backs up, and runs at full speed, attempting to jump over the wall. He graciously lands on the other side. "It's time for the real battle to start."