Chapter 17

It has been about a week since I visited Chase's torture chamber, and I think I have finally recovered. Well, physically, at least. Chase has been gone a lot recently, leaving me with plenty of alone time. There are only a couple of days until my birthday, and I would love to be home with my family more than anything. We go out to dinner and watch a movie each year, and it is a tradition I would really like not to miss. I have been trying to think of another way to escape, but it is very hard since I am on another continent. I need to make sure I have a plan, so I don't get caught again. 

I am doing some research in the library when Chase walks in. He comes over and wraps his arms around me.

"How was your day, beautiful?"

"The same," I try to reply dryly whenever I can because maybe he will get bored of me and let me go. 

"I was thinking. Maybe for your birthday, we could take a little trip. We could visit Adam, Jason, and Sean with their girls and go out for the weekend."

I perk up at this. Maybe this is my opportunity.

"That sounds great! Where are we going?"

"Wherever you want."

I pretend to think about it, but I already know where I want to go.

"How about New York City? I've always wanted to go!"

Chase hesitates before answering. 

"I don't know, baby. It's a bit farther than I was planning on traveling."

"Please, please, please. I've always wanted to see a Broadway show and go shopping in Times Square." I plead, bringing out the puppy dog eyes. 

"Ohhhhh, alright. But no funny business. Is that clear?" 

I nod and jump up, and hug him. I've got to play the part, right? 

"Looks like I have a couple of calls to make. Why don't you go and start packing because we will be leaving tomorrow." 

I stand on my toes to kiss him on the cheek before walking to our room. If I want to have any chance to get away from him, I need him to trust me completely. 

---

I open up the closet and start picking out some clothes. It is springtime, but it will be colder in New York than here in Italy. I look around for a suitcase but can't seem to find one. I go downstairs to ask Chase but hear him talking to someone on the phone. I stop in my tracks and try to listen to his conversation.

"Yeah, man, I think she is finally coming around. This trip was a great idea. She thinks I am the best husband in the world..."

He got quieter after that so that I couldn't hear the rest of the conversation. I continue walking, but when he sees me, he hangs up. 

"Chase, do you have any luggage?"

"Yeah, sure thing." 

He gives me a couple of suitcases, and I head back upstairs to pack. I make sure to pack a few coats, jeans, and t-shirts, as well as extra socks and underwear. I have no idea how long I will be gone when I escape. I've packed all of my clothes, leaving toiletries for tomorrow. 

I used to live in Washington state, which is on the opposite side of the country from New York, but my family lives in Colorado, a bit closer. If I can get to them first, they can help me get away from this psycho. All I need to do is somehow get my hands on one of Chase's cards; that way, when I get to New York, I can book an airplane ticket, or train or bus, or anything to get me to Colorado. 

Chase interrupts my thoughts.

"We're going to leave for the airport at 8 am tomorrow."

"Okay, sounds good," I say and give a small smile. 

---

We're on our way to the airport now in a limousine. Chase hired a driver so that he wouldn't have to keep his car at the airport. I'm looking out the window, enjoying the scenery, while Chase is doing something on his phone with his hand on my thigh. Usually, I would have moved, but I really need to be on his good side. 

We get there, and the driver pulls directly onto the tarmac and pulls up to a private jet. I was honestly in awe. I mean, I knew Chase was rich, but not this rich. I guess it makes sense, though. I mean, how else would he have smuggled me into the country? 

I had been looking at the window for the past couple of hours before I drifted off to sleep. I was woken up by Chase gently shaking me. 

"We've arrived."

He grabs my hand and helps me down the stairs. I feel a bit groggy, the flight was over 10 hours, but it's only 3 pm here due to the time difference. I thought that we would be staying in a hotel, but Chase informed me that he has a penthouse, so that we will be staying there. That makes it a bit harder to get away from him, but it's still not impossible.

We get there and unpack before ordering some Thai food to be delivered. We eat and then hang around. It's been a pretty long day, so the festivities will have to wait until tomorrow.