Chapter 5: The mysterious texts

Jill's POV

Pros: Danny's wife Rachel is really cool and I really admire her as a mother. She's really sweet with Gracie and kind with me as well. Besides, without my brother around, I was free to do almost whatever I wanted. Like watch TV all day, sneak out and go to the beach to have lots of ice cream and Gracie wasn't as annoying as I thought she'd be.

Cons: I really miss my Stevie, even when I'm incredibly mad at him. I wanted to spend some quality time with him, not to get stuck in Danny's home all day because of his work. I mean, we were starting to bond again, to know each other and then all of the sudden... puff, that's gone. And bingo, I'm alone again. It seems that's my only destiny.

I guess it's better this way though. I wouldn't like to ruin Steven's life like I did with mom's. I know he promised that he'd never stop loving me, no matter what I did but I'm sure that when he gets a bit of a taste of the true me it's not gonna be nice. I was watching TV when Rachel called me and Gracie to lunch. Ugh, great. Now I'm gonna have to eat those disgusting veggies. I sat down at the table looking at my plate, doing my best effort not to puke in the process. Fortunately, Danny's wife had mercy of me and spreaded grated cheese over my meal and heated it. At least now it had some sort of good taste. I tried one of the broccoli slides, and after drinking like two glasses of water I was able to gulp it. Why? Why Steve was making me eat that shit? I better not said a thing and just eat, because Rachel looked more like a telltale. And if he finds out that I didn't eat it again, he's gonna kill me. Or spank me, and that's quite worse! I feel so helpless and embarrassed when he does that. Besides I've never seen Steve so upset. I certainly don't remember my spankings as a kid very much, but I can assure you they weren't like that one. I saw him so mad, so hurt for what I had said to him. I can be such a bitch to him sometimes.

-Hey Jill, do you want a piece of pie for dessert?, Rachel suddenly asked me nicely, bringing me back to reality. I hate when people do that, I wanna live in my fairytale world, not in this crappy one.

-Ummm no thanks Mrs. Williams. I'll pass, thank you, I said as politely as I could. I needed to earn allies, not enemies. 

-You sure sweetie? Is there anything else I can offer you? Maybe some fruit or...?, she said starting to wash the dishes. 

I hadn't realized until then my plate was empty. Hmmm curious thing. Apparently I don't feel the taste of food when I'm in my wonderland. I gotta use that ability in a near future, because I'm pretty sure Steve's gonna make me eat those disgusting green things all summer long. Ewww.

-I'm sure. Thank you anyway Mrs. Williams. Can I go watch some TV?, I said hoping she doesn't make me help her with the dishes or clean the kitchen. Those kind of chores are repulsive to me. Like making the bed. What a waste of precious time I could use doing my manicure!

-Yes of course. But go to my room, because Gracie's watching her show in the living room, she said giving me a warm and huge smile.

I nodded and ran to her room. I laid down on the huge sized bed and turned the TV on. I started zapping unable to find anything good to watch anyway. I wished Steve would have taken the TV off instead of my laptop or my phone... I needed them so badly! I needed to see if someone had texted me or something. 

Ok Jillian, time to elaborate a good plan. I knew for sure that Steve kept those items in his closet. It was the first place I looked yesterday night. After all, it was his favorite hiding spot to put my stuff when I was a kid. He hasn't changed a thing since then and I guess me neither. I wasn't far from Steve's home, but I really didn't know how to get there straight. I could give it a try. Steve's at work anyway, so as long Rachel doesn't notice my absence I'm perfectly safe. I left the TV on, and opened the window of the room. Lucky me, Rachel and Danny's room is in the ground floor, otherwise I'd be forced to make a ladder with the sheets or something. I sneaked out through the window and started running towards home. I needed to be back asap or my ass would be in for it. Just imagine Steve's face if he gets a call from Rachel saying that I'm gone. Yep, kiss my freedom goodbye until the end of the summer. I couldn't wait for my grounding to be over. I wanted to know the island, and with Steve at work and me being grounded, I didn't stand a chance.Ok there I was, in the middle of a suicide mission. Finally I got to Steve's house. Lucky me, I have a very good memory, so it was easy for me to reconstruct the way we did earlier on Steve's car. I looked for the hidden key my brother always leaves up on the frame of the door. A classic, I know. I walked into the house in complete silence, just in case. Nope, nobody's home yet. I ran into Steve's bedroom and grabbed my phone from his closet. Later I'll have to come back and put this back before my brother notices. I glanced at the screen: over 500 new messages. Great, I lost my entire social life for longer than a day. Absolutely awful! But now at least I'd be able to make human contact... sort of.