Forgiven Lies

Lux has never been the type to be distracted by a phone in the middle of class, but ever since the night of the concert all she did was constantly tap the black screen in hopes to see a message from Shorter. She looked through the pointless notifications so much that her teachers began threatening to take her phone.

These out of character actions didn't go unnoticed by Oz, who Lux ended up telling about how Sing had to take her home because Shorter ditched her. Oz couldn't figure his best friend out. She was angry at Shorter yet hoping he'd call or show up outside her window again. The fact that he gave no explanation on why he left, and why he's been on ghost mode for the past week raised suspicions.

"So you said he graduated early?"

"Yeah. Apparently he and Sing's older brother were kind of troubled so the board wanted them to go to an early finishing school." Lux explained. "Why?"

"Hm, no reason. I was just curious. What's his older brothers name again?"

"Lao I think. But it's whatever, I don't want to talk to that jerk ever again." She lied, Oz just responded with a sarcastic brow lift and a half smile.

"I'll talk to you later, Lux. If you need anything you can call me too." He assured.

The day seemed to drag and all that was on Lux's mind was Shorter. She began to wonder if he was even okay. All that thinking and wishing must have summoned him because as soon as she walked out of school there he was in the parking lot, leaned up against his motorcycle with a guilty look on his face. Lux had to catch herself before he noticed how her eyes lit up when she saw him. She took a deep breath and tried her best to appear angry, "What are you doing here?"

Shorter sighed and took off his sunglasses. His deep brown eyes seemed so sad and they looked down at Lux with worry. "I know you probably hate me now." He began speaking softly to where only she could hear him, "And that you think I'm the worst." She nodded in agreement. "But Lux please know that I'm so so sorry about what happened. I shouldn't have ditched you like that."

Her lip quivered at the flashback of being abandoned. "Why did you?"

"I-" Shorter knew he couldn't say the truth but lying wasn't any better. "I can't tell you."

Lux rolled her eyes. The day was long and she wasn't in the mood to play this game. "Whatever. I gotta get home."

"Lux." Shorter turned and took hold of her wrist. "I can't tell you because..." she turned back, "It's embarrassing." She raised an eyebrow in confusion, "Okay you win. Uhh- my little cousin came down with a really bad stomach flu y'see- and uhhh I was taking care of him the night we went out and he passed it on to me. And I- I shit myself so I had to go."

Lux's eyes were fixated on Shorter not knowing how to react, then suddenly a burst of laughter erupted out of her. "You what!? Shorter oh my god, I'm sorry for laughing I really am! But that's-" she coughed while trying to catch her breath and regain composure, "that really is embarrassing. Wow. Are you feeling better now?"

Shorter's face burned out of pure embarrassment. "Mhm yeah." He trailed off and mentally cursed himself for coming up with such a ridiculous cover story. "I know I shouldn't have left you. I just didn't know what to do."

After finally getting rid of the giggles, Lux put her hand on the tall boys shoulder and let him know all was forgiven. "You do have to make it up to me though."

Shorter sighed in relief that she was so understanding, more so believing his lie. There were so many skeletons in his closet that he couldn't bare for her to see. "Can I start by driving you home?"

"Mmm." Lux tapped her lip, "How about we go out for a bite first? My parents aren't home so they won't know I'm late."  Shorter smiled and handed over a helmet. Being on the back of his motorcycle felt so right and she looked forward to doing it more often.
________________________
"I had a lot of fun." Lux threw herself on the bed and replayed the day in her head. "Thanks for everything."