New Look and Consequences

There were so many eyes staring at her. Students, teachers, parents. Nobody ever saw Lux wear anything this "revealing" by her own standards. She had on a pink, flowing miniskirt with white ballet flats, and a fitted- white off the shoulder top that stopped an inch above her hips.

Lux exhaled heavily before entering her first period where she sat beside Oz. "Hey Lux." He greeted, then did a quick double take. "Whoa! Your parents let you leave the house with that on?"

"No. I have the clothes I left the house with in my backpack." She whispered, "What do you think?"

"I think it looks great." He promised. "Why the change in wardrobe?"

"Just wanted to try something different. Push myself out of my comfort zone." Lux started to wish she brought a hoodie with her. She didn't realize how cold the classrooms were considering she'd hardly ever show skin. Being in these new clothes made her feel so naked, especially with the attention she was getting. It was confusing to tell if she liked this change or not. People were being nicer, like boys holding open the door for her, offering to carry her backpack. And they even started to show up to Lux's study sessions at lunch rather than buying the test results from Xia to cheat.

On the other hand, the side eyes given by teachers wasn't a good feeling. Especially when they'd press her about the sudden change of clothes and make up. They all assumed it was because she was being pressured to get with a boy before graduating. Lots of kids felt that way because they didn't want to be the one known for going their entire high school career being a virgin.

"I gotta say, I can't get used to the look." Sing admitted, as they walked off campus for something to eat before the Academic Decathlon began. Lux had studied so hard and decided to treat herself as an early victory celebration. That's how confident she was about winning. "Don't get me wrong, you look ummm..." he tried so hard to compliment his friend in the least vulgar way possible. "Pretty. Like super super pretty."

"Sing, my eyes are up here."

He blinked a few times not realizing his eyes drifted down to Lux's chest. "You're not doing this for any weird reason are you?"

Lux laughed off the question. "What weird reason are you implying?"

Sing bit the inside of his cheek, debating if he should talk about the conversation he and Shorter had. His Boss explained how he had to distance himself from Lux since the police have been keeping a close eye on their gang since Sheriff Sheng came back. "Nothing. Forget I said anything."

The sound of whistling caught their attention. It was a couple guys from their school driving by, catcalling Lux.

She scoffed at their disgusting remarks and ignored them up until they parked. The two boys, both football players, blocked Lux and Sing from walking away. One of them bumped Sing to the side so they could surround Lux. "Get out of our way." Lux demanded. She was always known for being a quiet girl but was loud and upfront when she needed to be. That's why she was so good at debates.

"We just wanted to ask if you'd come have lunch with us instead of hanging out with this little freshman."

Sing shoved his way between the boys and Lux. "Back off!" He shouted, staring up at the tall upperclassman.

"And what are you gonna do about it?" They prodded his chest, pushing him back.

"Hey! Don't put your hands on him!" Lux argued.

Before the two boys could get physical again, Sing had pulled out a pocket knife. "Back up!" He warned, clutching the handle in his fist.

The boys took a step back then looked at each other with a smirk, "And what are you planning on doing with that? Besides make us mad?"