The Freshman

8am

The first bell rang and Lux was already prepared for class. Book open, pencils out, and phone zipped up in her backpack. Everyone always giggled at how seriously she took her academics but she payed them no mind. Lux's one and only goal was to pass her classes and exams this senior year with nothing but straight A's. The college of her parents choice was within finger tips reach and she had to live up to their expectations. Nothing was going to get in her way of that.

"Hey, Lux." Oz waved her down as she was hurrying to her next class. "Wait up!" She couldn't be late for second period because she was talking in the hallway.

Lux slowed down her sprinting pace in order for the curly haired brunette to catch up. "Hurry up, slow poke. We're going to be late."

"Lux..." he groaned at how strict his best friend was  about making it to class on time. "It's art class. Even the teacher is late."

"Well I'm not okay with tardiness." Lux responded back with a smile and sped up her steps. "How's your tutoring going?"

"Horrible." Oz slumped his shoulders, "The freshman that I got paired up with is such a jerk."

She couldn't help but giggle, "You're getting bullied by a freshman? C'mon Oz."

"I don't get it. He was doing so good on his tests then suddenly he just stopped trying." Pacing through the halls got them to the art building with 3 minutes of passing period to spare. Not to much of Oz's surprise, the room was empty and the teacher was AWOL. He plopped down on an empty stool and continued to complain. Meanwhile, Lux put on her apron remembering that today's assignment was to begin a rough draft of the landscape of  New York. "Why are you putting that on? We're not even paining today."

"Just in case. I don't want to get dirty."

Oz shook his head. One thing to be admired about Lux was the way she was always prepared for everything. "Whatever. Anyways, I wish I could switch him out with someone else." Like lightning, an idea struck into his head and he grabbed Lux by the shoulders, "Hey! You should tutor him!" He suggested, in hopes she'd say yes, knowing Lux was always up for a challenge.

"I can't. I have too much on my plate as it is." And just like that, Oz started crying and got down on his knees begging to take in this troubled freshman. "You're embarrassing me!"

"There's nobody here and the bells already rung!"

"I said no."

"C'mooooon!" He whined, trying to think of another way to convince her to take this burden off his hands. "Being a tutor will look great on your college résumé ! And I'm sure his teachers would be more than willing to write you letters of recommendation if you get him to pass his classes."

Suddenly the idea of taking on a student didn't sound too ridiculous after all. If it would help her get into college, then bring it on. "Fine." She huffed, crossing her arms. "Where can I meet up with him for his first lesson?"
____________________
Oz said the library during the first half of lunch time was when he met up with the rebellious freshman. The school library was anything but quiet. Kids were playing their music out loud, watching stupid videos on the computers and doing unholy activities in between the shelves of the British literature and government section. The only thing Lux did in that usually rural, dark area of the library was take a power nap so she could continue to study afterwards.

She scanned the area and tried to look for someone who could have been Oz's student. Then it hit her. What if the kid didn't even show up? He was already slacking on his studies so why continue tutoring?

"Hey." A boys voice called out. He didn't sound too thrilled. Lux turned and saw a Chinese boy with short black hair, propping his feet up on the table and blowing a piece of bubble gum. "You my new tutor?"