4 - Rooftops

-+c+-
CHAPTER FOUR
-+c+-

It was fully dark by the time they escaped from the desolation of the apartment complex

It was fully dark by the time they escaped from the desolation of the apartment complex. The rain continued to pour, Petra was exhausted, and Peter was no more than a wretched, half-drowned rat.

When they were far enough away from the scene, Petra landed on a ledge of a news building and let Peter off of her. He immediately fell to the ground and let out a choking sob.
Petra walked beside him slowly and simply waited, understanding that he needed time to mourn. Sometimes it was best to cry so that you could release all the sadness that was built up inside of you.

She waited and waited as Peter cried, listening to his heartbreaking, uncontrolled sobs fade into steady crying, and that fade into acceptance and inner sorrow.

A new story was projected onto the screen above them. It was a report on the events that had just happened. J. Jonah Jameson began to speak on the destruction that had just occurred with indifferent words.

"What else can I call it?" The reporter began. "What more need be said? The damage. The destruction. You saw it with your own eyes."

Peter stood dejectedly, his eyes glued to the screen that was slandering him. A filled bag lay at his feet, soaked through by the rain.

"When will people wake up and realize that wherever Spider-Man goes, chaos and calamity ensue. Everything Spider-Man touches comes to ruin." Jameson said harshly.

Petra bowed her head and let the deep, sorrowful hole inside her swallow her up.

"And we, the innocents, are left to pick up the pieces. J. Jonah Jameson reporting." He concluded. "Good night and God help us all."

The report faded to black, but not even the darkness could hide the pain and tears etched on Peter's face.

"Come on, Peter, let's go. We're wasting our time listening to this crap." Petra said. "They don't have a right to talk about things they don't know about. And the way he spoke about you- it's outrageous."

When there was no response, Petra continued, her voice now soft and gentle.
"You have a comfort place? Somewhere you go to get away from everything?"

"Uh..yeah..yeah I do.." Peter answered thickly. "I was just thinking of..." he paused.

"Mine was on top of Boro Hotel. It had a great view and just felt so homely." Petra said, her voice sweet and calm, now trying to distract Peter from his grief and focus on happy, little things. "Where's yours?"