Saving Grace by dontyaworrydarlin

Saving Grace

This will be southern cowboyrry but that was probably obvious. I do not have a face claim for Grace. You're welcome to picture her as whomever. I've left out a lot of details such as hair colour, eye colour, etc for that reason. Have fun <3

Grace moves to put her thumb out again, starting to walk backwards as a car approaches her but once again the car just keeps on driving. Hell, even a trucker drove past her and usually they pull to the side of the road and pick hitchhikers up. Perhaps, it was the way she was dressed. It was more than obvious that she wasn't from around these parts of town, after all, she highly doubted someone would wear a pair of Doc Martens on gravel mixed with a bit of dirt road. She also doubted people around these parts would be wearing a knit cardigan with pops of colour and pants with embroidered faces on them.

Something told her she might just be the outlier but it was worth a shot. Her car quite literally ate shit some ways back and at this point, she didn't even see her car in the distance anymore.

Her original plan had been to walk a few miles and try to find a gas station, surely there had to be one around here but all she's seen so far is pastures full of farm animals and fields that stretch beyond her vision.

She was well and truly lost, little beads of sweat rolling down her forehead as she did a complete three sixty, letting out a small groan of frustration as she stomps her foot down on the dirt. Little clouds of dust shoot up as she stomps her feet, moving to wave her hand around as she turns to face the road once more.

"What the hell am I even doing?" Grace breathes out, moving to place her hand on her hips before she pulls a rubber band off of her wrist, bringing her hair up to the top of her head before tying it into a bun. At least that's one less thing to stress about. Now she just needs to find some water and hopefully someone that can help her.

She moves to pull out two front pieces, running her fingers down them a few times so they frame her face just right before she's moving her hands down to dust the dirt off of her jeans. "Small towns and their dirt roads. Inconvenience if you ask me," she mutters to herself, turning around.

At this point, she's lost. She's unaware of which way she's come from and she's unaware of which way she was originally going. For all she knows, she could be walking in the same direction back to her car. There are no landmarks, just fields and horses and cows.

The sun is starting to set on the horizon so she picks up her pace, feeling the slight pain start to set in her heels. Walking down dirt roads with hints of gravel in doc martens isn't the best of ideas. She can feel the wear on her feet, especially her heel and near her toes.

The sound of a car makes her lift her head up from her feet, moving to stick her thumb out once more and to her surprise, the car slows down to a complete stop and she moves to grasp onto the open passenger window.

Grace immediately gets a bad vibe from the driver though. A cigarette hangs from his lips, there seems to be what looks like days old diner food sitting in the windshield, chilli dripping out of the sides and it definitely isn't fresh. His backseat seems to be nearly nonexistent with the amount of trash that is piling up and Grace has never been more okay with walking a bit longer in her life.

"You know what," she gives the man a small smile, not wanting to deal with someone who's irate at that moment. After all, it's only her and nothing but open fields. There's only so much she can do. Grace releases the passenger side door, pushing herself off of it to stand up as she quickly glances around for an out.

"My destination is right there. Got a bit turned around, thank you for stopping though," Grace offers the man a sweet smile before she starts to walk away.