Soft Place to Land by stillhurtingstyles

Content Warning: assault, sexual assault, talks around abortion. 

Soft Place to Land 

Stay on the highway for 57 more miles.

I'm already two hours into my journey home, and I easily have another three to go. Double that if this snow doesn't clear up. The tears moving down my cheeks have been falling this whole time that I don't even notice them. I can see fine, and other than the occasional blurriness and the warmness of my face, I refuse to acknowledge them.

Cal's voice filters in and out of my mind as I drive.

This wasn't the plan, Nini. Why the fuck would you lie to me?

I sniffle, and grip the steering wheel even harder. I have no desire to spend the holidays with my family. In fact, I didn't plan on coming home at all. But considering my entire life is packed into my car, I didn't have anywhere else to go.

You know I don't want this. How the fuck could you do this to us?

Even as I drive I can feel the phantom pain of his hand across my cheek. His handprint might as well be a permanent tattoo on my face. I can always blame my swollen red cheeks on the cold, not that anyone would notice.

I glance in my rearview mirror, grateful that there are no other cars behind me so I can drive as slow as I want with my hazards on. I catch a glimpse of my duffel bag, and try not to sob all over again. It's the same duffel bag I've had since I was in middle school, and the fact that my entire pathetic life is packed away in it has tears threatening to take over again.

Cal destroyed most of my stuff anyway. Now, it's just me, my laptop, a phone charger, and a few tee shirts and pants. I was packing so quickly, I don't even remember if I grabbed pajamas or not.

Weirdly, I'm glad Cal kicked me out. I had been planning on running away for months now, but at least I know that he won't try to find me. I don't know how well I could go into hiding, He'd find me instantly. But he doesn't want me. No one ever does.

I didn't have enough money to stay in a motel or be on the run. As awful as the thought is, I'm going to have to stay with my parents. At least for a little. It's better than being homeless or sleeping in my car. And I can save up! Just need to get a job, and save up a little. No shame in asking for a little help from my family.

Hopefully my sister won't be too pissed that I am actually coming to her wedding. I originally RSVP'd no, because the thought of attending this wedding made me want to jab my eyes out. Considering I didn't get a call or a text about my invitation status, I would say my sister was relieved that I wouldn't be coming.

Jokes on her because now I am coming, because there is no way my mom will let me stay home while the entire town is at Bev's wedding. Not for nothing, but who has their wedding on December 24th? It's literally Christmas Eve! My selfish sister, that's who.

Other than my sister being an absolute garbage monster, I wasn't sure how I was supposed to deal with my family members.

"Still no boyfriend, Nini?"

"How's the job going?"

"How nice of you to grace us with your presence!"

None of them even want me there to begin with. My own sister didn't ask me to be in the bridal party. Not that I would fit into whatever heinous dress she picked out four months ago.

Oh that's going to be another fun round of questions and comments.

"Why, Eugenia! Don't you look healthy?"