Chapter 2

Soo-yun stared up at the Byeolgung and wondered where she went wrong. As future royal consort, the Detached Palace would be her home for the next few months. She wasn't even given a chance to return to her natal home to gather her clothes but sent directly here to begin the preparations for her wedding day.

"You're here!" she heard Yeo-jin exclaim as she came running out of the Byeolgung. "I was trying to get things set up before you arrived. You must be exhausted.

"I already told the servants to go get some refreshments," Yeo-jin continued to babble as she led Soo-yun into her new temporary home. "I am so excited for you, mistress. Or should I start calling you Crown Princess?" Yeo-jin giggled.

Normally, Soo-yun would admonish her maid for talking so much. However, she was still in shock from the events leading up to this moment. Beating the other semifinalists had been simple; this was literally what she had been raised to do. She practically knew which questions would be asked and had the perfect response prepared.

Meanwhile, even though she wore the same yellow samhoejang jacket over a red chima skirt as the other candidates, she made good use of finally being able to wear her makeup and jewelry this time to create enough subtle differences to allow her to stand out. With an expert touch, she applied red yeonji makeup to her lips and cheeks, which further accentuated the paleness of her skin and the darkness of her silky black hair.

The three finalists were called back another two weeks later to have their interview with the Queen and other high-level royal officials. Soo-yun came wearing her finest dangui topcoat for her hanbok while her makeup and hair had been done to perfection by the highest-paid beauticians in Joseon. Outwardly, there was nothing wrong with Soo-yun; her father made certain of that.

However, this final part of the selection process was also to judge her wit and intelligence. From what her father had told her, it was vital to be soft, yet firm. Her answers must be philosophical and brimming with deeper meaning. The Queen Mother would be looking for someone that had strong opinions and the ability to articulate them. After all, whoever was chosen would be the Mother of the Nation someday and the Queen would want someone capable to stand by her son on the throne.

Instead of doing this, however, Soo-yun acted completely submissive. She whole-heartedly agreed with whomever the person of the moment interviewing her asked, even if it contradicted what she had just stated earlier. She acted completely cowed by their presence and as weak-willed as possible. It hurt her pride to humble herself like that but it was important to the plan.

After listening to the other finalists speak, Soo-yun was certain that one of those two would be chosen. They had come off as bright, fierce, and intelligent while Soo-yun made certain that she was perceived as dim, timid, and dull. All of their answers were thoughtful and deep while she made hers as shallow and vapid as possible.

"What is the deepest thing in the world?" the queen had asked the three girls.

"The mighty Han River that feeds our great nation and all the citizens of Joseon," Seung-wan, replied, the second oldest daughter of the Minister of Military Affairs.

"The human soul since there is no way to truly measure its depth," Gyeong-Ja responded, the eldest daughter of the Minister of Personnel.

"The well in my father's backyard is pretty dark. So I'm certain that it is the deepest thing," Soo-yun answered after hemming and hawing a bit.

There had been a lot of murmuring after that and, out of the corner of her eye, she saw the other two girls smirking as they were certain that Soo-yun had just eliminated herself with that idiotic answer. The other candidates were exactly the type of girls that would be ideal for the position of Crown Princess and she thought there was no way that she would be selected. Yet Soo-yun could not deny that she had been.