Chapter 24

As much as Soo-yun wanted to dive out of the carriage as soon as it stopped and rush into her mother's arms, she knew that she couldn't do that as long as her father was watching. Any display of emotion, positive or negative, that might embarrass him in front of others had always been taboo within their home. Considering the threats he made the last time they were alone together, Soo-yun needed to return to being his porcelain doll while they were there, if only to protect her mother and Yeo-jin.

The Crown Prince was the first to exit out the back of carriage and, instead of immediately greeting the Left Minister, Ha-neul turned back to help Soo-yun out of the carriage as well. Out of the corner of her eye, she saw her father's eyes narrow at the snub. He did not like being ignored.

"Was the trip agreeable, your Royal Highness?" Min Won-shik asked as soon as the two joined the family at the compound entrance. "You rarely leave the palace besides trips to the royal hunting grounds with your father. I was starting to think you had a general disposition against travel."

"The journey was fine," Ha-neul responded. "I actually do enjoy leaving Hanseong... when there is something worth seeing, of course."

"What are you trying to say? That we are not worth your time?" her brother, Mi-reu, heatedly asked as he jostled forward. Won-shik placed a hand on her brother's shoulder to rein him back. Mi-reu seemed to shrink at his father's touch.

"I am certain that is not what your brother-in-law was saying. Am I correct, your Royal Highness?"

"Of course. I was merely stating that you apparently run your land extremely efficiently. We get so many reports of problems from other lords, yet your domain appears to be extraordinarily tranquil. I can't remember the last time I received a report about this region, good or bad, and there simply has been no need for the royal family to interfere with your stewardship," the Crown Prince responded.

Soo-yun tuned the pair out as they continued their battle of pleasantries to focus on her mother, Min Eun-kyung. While her mother looked thinner and with more grey hair than Soo-yun remembered, it appeared that she was still in general good health. Soo-yun desperately searched her mother's face for any sign of emotion at their reunion, but her mother kept her expression impassive and her eyes downcast.

Before she had a chance to speak to her mother, she heard the sound of approaching horses. She looked back to see Han Tae-hyeong and his black-clad riders approach. Like their leader, the other members of the Saheonbu had grim expressions as they stared down at them. Tae-hyeong dismounted and approached the group, bowing deeply to Left Minister Min.

"What are you doing here, commander?" her father asked. While the newlyweds arrival had been expected, Soo-yun could see that her father was surprised to see Ha-neul's uncle there. Her father had few good things to say about the man from their interactions in the Inner Court and it was clear that he didn't want him there either.

"I am merely passing through, Left Minister. There is no reason to stay in the area for long, right?" Soo-yun couldn't help but shiver at Han Tae-hyeong's reply. Somehow, the older man could make simple pleasantries sound like threats.

"My uncle is on his way north to the Hamgyeong Province to investigate a noble that is embezzling funds the king earmarked for the construction of a fort," Ha-neul interjected. "It is a long journey and I suggested that he rest here for a day or two before continuing. This isn't a problem, is it?"

"Of course not, your Royal Highness," Won-shik replied. "Your family is my family now that we are tied together with your marriage to my daughter. I am sure that I can find accommodations for him and his... men."