Sunshine

Whistling a happy tune, Bucky rounded the corner and walked toward the flower shop. The doorbell jingled as Bucky pushed it open, and the aroma of sweet flowers filled his nose. His eyes darted to the various colors and patterns of the flowers that surrounded him. They were all so beautiful and his blue eyes drank in everything. He felt like an ugly troll in the midst of fairies. An old lady walked up to Bucky with a smile.

"Looking for flowers for someone special?" She asked kindly.

Bucky laughed shyly. "Y-yeah. She's something else. I wanna confess my feelings to her."

"Well, I could help you find whatever you need."

"Uh, I'm not really good with flowers. These look pretty." Bucky said pointing to a bouquet.

The woman laughed. "Those mean death and sorrow."

Bucky quickly retracted his hand. "Oh...that's sad. Do you have any that mean sunshine? She's the sunshine of my life."

"Of course. Sunflowers would be what you're looking for." She said as Bucky chuckled.

"Yeah. Sunshine. Sunflowers. Makes sense."

The woman arranged a lovely bouquet, adding some flowers that mean joy and happiness into the mix. She handed the bouquet to Bucky and he sheepishly grabbed them.

"Uh, how much?" Bucky asked reaching into his pocket.

She waved her hand and shook her head. "Don't worry about it."

"Are you sure? I can p—"

"Look dear, I've seen enough men in my lifetime, and I know when someone cares very deeply about someone. I think you deserve some little blessings in your life. Please, take the flowers to your girl."

Bucky couldn't stop his smile. "Thank you. I'll make it up to you."

Waving to the woman one last time, Bucky exited the cozy shop. He clutched the bouquet tightly and marched toward your apartment. He raised his flesh hand and gently knocked on your door. He waited with a nervous sweat as the silence seemed too deafening. You slowly opened the door, and Bucky's breath hitched. Gosh, you looked beautiful.

"Hey Bucky."

In a nervous reflex, he brought the flowers to your face. "Uh, flowers, for you. Sunflowers because, u-uh, you're the sunshine of m-my life."

You smiled at the adorable mess he was and gently grabbed the flowers from his hand.

"Thank you."

Bucky wrung his hands together, sweat starting to form on them, and he let out a shaky breath before continuing. "I l-like you. A-a lot. You make my whole life brighter and I would really love it if you became my girl. You don't have to of course, I was o-only suggesting, I totally understand if you wouldn't want to be with a man like me, I—"

You giggled and pressed a finger to his lips. Red blossomed on his cheeks, and words stopped tumbling out of his mouth immediately.

"I like you too, Bucky. I would love to be your girl."

Bucky let out a sigh of relief, and his eyes looked happily into yours. "Can I kiss you?"

You nodded and Bucky slowly edged closer. He gently caressed hour face with his rough hands and swallowed down a nervous lump before closing the distance. His whole world seemed to explode with color and feeling he'd never known. Your hands tangled into his hair, and he pulled you closer. Safety and love seemed to engulf both of you, and Bucky reveled in it. As you pulled away, you looked into each other's eyes.

"Not bad for a first kiss." You giggled.

Bucky hummed in agreement. "Not bad at all, doll."