ONE

We made camp about a mile or two into the gorge, well outta sight of the dead Midgarsormyr. No way were we gonna get any rest as long as we could see that giant snake impaled on the tree. So we pressed on until we came to a small cluster of trees off to the left with tall, sloping hills rising up on either side. After our harrowing journey through the marshes, we needed some time to rest and recover before heading into the mines. I didn't like the delay, but I knew we could use a break after all we'd endured in that hellish swamp.

So after discussing it for a bit, we decided to go ahead and stop for the day even though it wouldn't be dark for several more hours. As the skies cleared and the sun came out, we set up the tents, then took turns washing up in a nearby stream. It was close enough that we didn't have to walk very far, but sheltered enough by the trees that whoever was in there bathing had plenty of privacy. The girls went first—Tifa and then Aerith—followed by Barret. Then I took my turn, scrubbing up as best I could until I was clean, and Red went last.

We changed into some extra clothes we'd bought back in Kalm just in case—Aerith was always thinking ahead like that. I wasn't sure what we were gonna do about our dirty ones, but she was already on it. She'd bought some soap as well and was already gathering our muddy things while Tifa busied herself with cooking an early dinner and Red curled up by the fire I'd just gotten done making.

But it was Barret that really surprised me. Motioning to Aerith, he had her give him the small box of laundry soap. Then he sorted out the dirty clothes into two piles—colors and whites. Aerith had also bought a scrubbing brush, and after getting that out, Barret asked for it as well. I raised an eyebrow at the sight of him getting ready to do the laundry. This was a side of him I'd never seen before and had never suspected. I watched him and wondered what else there was about him that I didn't know about. Probably more than he let on.

"Didn't think this was your style," I smirked.

"I ain't exactly domestic, merc," Barret said. "But Marlene's clothes don't get clean by themselves. An' she's always loved jumpin' into them mud puddles outside the bar and splashin' like hell."

Tifa laughed as she cooked. "Biggs brought her inside one day and she was covered from head to toe, remember?"

"Oh, hell yeah," Barret chuckled. "Pain the ass to clean, too."

"Bet she was still adorable, though," Aerith giggled.

He grinned. "Always."

Red yawned tiredly. "Fascinating. Now if you don't mind, I think I will take a nap for a while. It's been a long day."

"That it has," Tifa agreed.

Barret picked up some of the dirty clothes, walked over, and thrust them at me. "Here, merc. Make yourself useful."

I blinked. "Huh?"

"Can't get all these clothes down to the stream myself," he said. "So get up off your scrawny ass and get movin'."

"Fine," I sighed.

I ignored the girls' laughter and tried not to feel too self-conscious as I took the pile of clothes and went down to the stream with him and Aerith. Tifa joined us after checking on the food, and the aromas filled the air, making my stomach rumble. But as we walked, I thought about what had happened back at the edge of the swamp. Aerith seemed fine now and her color was better, but I knew that what Sephiroth had done in singling her out was bothering her.

"You okay?" I asked.

She looked at me. "Hmm? Oh, I'm fine. It's just... when he pointed at me, I felt cold. Like the inside of an iceberg."