FORTY-SEVEN

Well, looks like it's finally my turn to do some talkin' for a while. It ain't easy relivin' all the shit we went through back then, but it's for the best. Can't be lettin' the past dog ya forever. Somethin' I learned durin' our long journey to stop Sephiroth and Shinra. I didn't treat Shera near as well as I should've back then, ain't gonna lie. Had my head up my ass about the launch and took it out on her. She never deserved it, though. Girl's a saint for puttin' up with my crap for so long. And I'm damned lucky to have her. Just wanted that on the record.

She's with me here around that big bonfire in Cosmo Canyon with the others while we're recordin' our story, her and our little Cal—that's Calista to you. Just a few months old and the prettiest thing I ever saw. I'm doin' this for her as much as for me and Shera, to give my little girl a better world and a better future than what we started with. So I s'pose I oughta get my ass in gear and get started, eh?

We made it to shore three hours after I'd landed the Tiny Bronco in the middle of the ocean. Jessie was still next to me in the copilot's seat, so once them rocky shoals came into view, I had her extend the wheels from the pontoons. I felt 'em thump down and lock into place after she hit the button as the plane skated across the water. Soon as we got close enough, I drove us right outta the ocean and onto dry land. More rock than sand here, but still passable. I didn't go far, though. Just enough to get off the shore and into a nearby grassy field.

"We're here," I grunted onced I'd parked the Tiny Bronco. "Though this baby'll need repairs before she'll fly again."

Jessie smiled. "Need a hand, Cid?"

"That'd be great, thanks," I nodded, switchin' off the engines. Then I glanced at the others over my shoulder. "Everyone okay?"

"We're fine," Cloud answered.

That kid Yuffie slowly lifted her head and looked around the cabin as if she wasn't sure we'd stopped. "Did we make it?"

"Safe and sound," Tifa assured her.

"Thank Leviathan..." Yuffie breathed as she finally relaxed.

I snorted as I unfastened my safety harness and stood up. "Told ya I'd get ya down safe, kid. Ain't no better pilot than me!"

"So what's the plan?" Jessie asked as she did the same.

"Let's get off the plane first," Cloud decided. "Then we'll figure out where we are and which way we need to go."

Yuffie grinned. "I'll be the guide! Just leave it to me!"

"Alright," he nodded. "Let's mosey."

I blinked. "Mosey? The hell's that? Either say it like a man or don't say it at all. You sound like a goddamn sissy."

"It is kinda funny, Cloud," Jessie laughed helplessly.

He shrugged. "Move out, everyone."

There was a small hatch in the floor just behind the cockpit. Once I pulled it open and unrolled the rope ladder attached to it, we climbed down to the ground outside under the Tiny Bronco's nose. There was a light breeze puffin' past us as the sun sank slowly behind a line of high, rocky hills to the west. I hefted the spear I'd brought with me from the plane and tucked it snugly into the loop Shera had sewn for me on the back of my leather jacket years ago to hold it.

"Can you fight?" Cloud asked me.

I nodded. "If need be. Served in the Shinra military for a few years when I was younger and learned how to use this thing. That was before I got into piloting and fell in love with the sky."

Jessie chuckled. "I can see how it pulled you in, Cid. Being up there was really fun, you know? Exhilarating!"

"Ain't nothin' like it," I laughed, knowin' exactly how she felt.