Chapter 4 - Workspace

Natasha led us to the main control room which was filled with operating systems. Fury was throwing orders around until eventually he said. “Let’s vanish.”

“Vanish?” I questioned.

“Tony made a few alterations from Howard’s original design. Theirs surveillance on every square meter of the outer wall and the footage is projected onto the direct opposite panel. Providing the illusion that we’re not actually here.”

“So we’re essentially invisible in mid air. Handy... until an aircraft crashes into us.” I muttered.

 “We’ll dodge them.” Fury responded before walking over to Banner to speak with him.

I wandered around the operating room, looking at the screens and taking in all I could about it.

Fury had Banner set up in his own workspace, he was tasked with trying to find the Tesseract using his knowledge of gammer radiation, which ironically enough was what turned him into, what we call, the Hulk. His giant, green, angry and indestructible alter ego.

“Sir, what exactly am I going to be doing. You have Banner looking for the Tesseract, Natasha and Steve are your soldiers so what am I to do?”

Fury glanced at me with his one eye before briskly walking away. At first I thought he was just walking away from me, but then he turned back around. “Are you coming?”

“Right, sorry.” I said, running after him.

“Loki cannot control you. When we capture him, and we will,” he felt the need to add. “You will be in charge of keeping an eye on him.” Fury entered a key and opened up two heavy metal doors. He made a point to show me the code so I knew how to get in next time on my own. In the centre of the room was a glass cage. “It’s indestructible. It was designed to contain Banner.”

“You mean contain ‘the other guy.’ You do realise that if it’s just little old me guarding Loki and he manages to get out of his little prison… he will tear me apart. I mean, he is essentially a god and my only super power is an intense brain capacity not combat skills… and just out of curiosity, if Loki is in there, where the hell are you going to put the Hulk if he rears his green head?”

“Banner has himself under control, he hasn’t had an incident in over a year. And as for your super power,” he said in a mocking tone, “you used to work for Howard Stark, helping to design and create high powered weapons, you can’t do that if you don’t know how to use them. Correct? And according to Agent Barton you can stand your own in a fight.”

“Guns don’t work against Loki.”

Fury glanced at me and then of all things he smirked before walking over to a large desk to the left of the prison. It was filled with computer screens that showed surveillance footage that covered the corridor just outside the room and the air around the Helicarrier plus all of the needed information for the prison like temperature, structure capacity, oxygen level, etc. Fury walked behind the desk and then entered another code, a different code than the one used to get into the room, to open up another door. The doors rolled back to reveal, a sort of extension to the room that was filled with more desk that contained hundreds of different materials, tools, blueprint paper, more computer screens and everything else known to man to build weapons.

“You have free range to do or build whatever you like, something a little more affective than your average handgun no doubt. These doors won’t shut if they sense that you’re inside the room so whether you’re working or not, you’ll be able to see Loki.”

“You have to catch him first… No, actually I take that back, you have to find him first.”

“We will. We have every security camera in New York scanning for Loki, Barton and Dr. Selvig. One of them will have to show their face soon enough and when they do I’ll send Rogers, Natasha and Stark to meet him.”

“Stark?” my stomach turned. “You’re involving Tony Stark in this?”

“He can help Banner find the Tesseract and I believe Iron man could be an asset. This isn’t a mission, Agent Morgan,” It was the first time I heard someone use my new title and Furry felt the need to emphasise it, “It’s war. We need every body we can get.” He finished before turning to leave me with my new office.

“Director?” He turned back around to face me. “Agent Barton… what’s your plan for him? And the doctor.” I added on the end. “What if we can’t get them back?”

“Our job, Miss Morgan, is to eliminate any and all threats to humankind.” That was his answer before shutting the door behind him.

Short chapter, but i'm trying to update all of my stories today for Easter so that's why.
Hope you enjoy :) Happy Easter! xxx