Chapter 3: Lie With Me and Just Forget the World

Four bunkers. Fifteen armed personnel in each bunker. Hours ticking up to seventy-two. And not a single activity to account for.

It was starting to look like a possible ruse. A hoax to ruffle their feathers and leave them hanging. The report from Site Delta was similar; the location that had reported all the activity prior to commencement of operation, now laid barren, as if no human had ever stepped foot in there. Back at the FBI headquarters, Rowen must be gnashing his teeth in understandable frustration. They had sped up the operation by days. What if it had all been for naught?

The need to consider calling off the operation grew more immediate with each passing minute. To start over their search and revert to scratch would cause a huge dent in the morale of every involved person, not to mention the advantage Diablo would gain from it, served by the FBI on a silver platter for him to exploit and rejoice in. They would lose the progress they had made thus far, all the leads falling cold.

It was a tough decision to make, and the burden of the consequences laid on Harry’s shoulder. Damned if he did. Damned if he didn’t.

Textbook, clinical operation. No loose ends. Looked like Rowen might have to swallow his words. They were bound to be bitter tasting.

There was no palpable tension, they had been trained for such situations. Most of them had been held hostage for longer durations, had worked undercover for months if not years. No, they were perfectly acquainted with the concept of patience. It was Tomlinson that had him worried, and a part of Harry hated himself for bending to the man’s manipulations and bringing him here, where there was no definite guarantee of his safety, where one ill-fated moment could turn fatal. But the other, major part of him breathed easier each moment his eyes landed on the omega.

“He is fine, boss,” Adeleye said, forcing him to tear his gaze away from Tomlinson who was busy holding court with agents who were practically strangers to him. Always at ease at having people dote on him.

“I can’t help it,” he sighed in defeat, no point in even trying to hide it from Adeleye.

“To think, all these years, you wanted him behind the bars. How did I even believe you when you said he meant nothing to you?”

“Not something I am in the right mindset to discuss.”

“Thinking of calling it off?”

“I have to consider the possibility. Diablo could be planning something while we are here twiddling our thumbs.”

Adeleye laughed, “I can’t picture you doing that. You are more twitching with anxiety, than twiddling thumbs.”

He rolled his eyes, motioning to the satellite transmitter, “Get me an update from Agent Horan.” Not that the last few reports had anything new to reveal. It seemed fruitless.

“Will do. Stop staring at him, it’s starting to get creepy.”

“Go get the report.” Harry was not staring, he was not, or at least that was what he tried to convince himself. He was not someone who stared.

When the conviction failed to hold, Harry turned away from the group, heading to the top of the bunker. Adeleye could come find him there. He opened the seal lock after climbing the ladder, stepping into the abandoned building under which the bunker was built.

The air was murky, visibility low, but it had its advantages; it was difficult for anyone to spot them when they needed to come out of the bunker. Though, in that moment, all Harry wanted was to breathe in fresh air, just so he could clear his head a bit. He needed to make decisions, needed to analyse the aspects of either sticking or quitting while they still had time.