Chapter 8: Oh, Can We Just Get a Pause?

Harry felt himself getting stuck in the moment. A loop of should haves running through his mind. Should have checked before opening the door. Should have gone to work. Should have told them about Louis. Should have told Louis about his episode.

While his inner monologue ran over the same course on a repeat, the people around him went ahead. He registered the confused looks on their faces and wondered if the confusion was in regard to his strangeness, or had they heard the question directed to him. He did not get the opportunity to piece together an answer. A hand curled around his forearm, body sliding next to his; warm and relaxed one second, tense and unmoving the next.

He could predict a hundred different ways this should have gone – would have – if he had not hidden the recent developments in his life from his family.

It was his mother who first recovered from the shock, a tight, forced smile on her face as she said, “Won’t you invite us in, Harry?”

He nodded in quick succession, stepping aside to let them through, “This is a surprise.”

“You tell me,” Gemma said, eyes flicking between him and Louis, “Though, surprise is a mild way to put it.”

Louis stood stock still beside him, hands firmly back to his own sides while Harry collected their coats.

“Let’s give them a minute, mum,” Gemma said in a low murmur to Anne, inclining her head to the kitchen and shooting Harry a pointed look before following after their mother. He knew what that look meant; to get himself straightened out and not upset their mother.

Louis’ gaze met his for a single moment of panic before dropping to the ground, “I should go back to bed.” No sooner had Louis said the words that he fled for the stairs, stopping only when Harry curled his hand around the omega’s wrist.

“Stay, please.”

“They hate me,” Louis whispered, eyes still downcast but not protesting when Harry pulled him back.

“They don’t hate you, darling,” Harry said, cupping Louis’ cheeks, wishing the omega would look at him.

“You’re a really bad liar, Harry.”

“They don’t hate you,” he repeated, “Upset, yes. Disappointed, definitely. But there’s no hatred.”

“It’s not as comforting to hear as you think,” Louis gave a smile, reluctant as it was.

“Please stay,” he requested.

“Wouldn’t it be better if I just stay up in the room?” Louis asked, but Harry heard the unasked question. Wouldn’t it be better if he stayed hidden?

“I don’t ever want to hide you, baby.”

The omega stalled, not entirely convinced, eyeing the stairs to his right before relenting. “If this turns into a shit-show, which it will, I’m blaming you,” Louis threatened, parting his eyes from the staircase to meet Harry’s.

Conceding the point, Harry nodded fondly, dropping his voice as he asked, “How did you sleep?”

“That’s what you’re concerned about right now?”

“Yes.”

Louis softened, “I slept fine, and you were right, I’m not currently fit to be in the field.” Louis let his shoulders drop, chewing the frayed skin from the corner of his lip, “I know you’re trying to distract me, but we shouldn’t keep them waiting.”

“They won’t mind, well, not too much,” he shrugged, braving himself as he offered, “I can tell them not to question you.”

“I don’t need you to save me, H,” the omega smiled as he reminded him, “I’m man enough to own my mistakes.”