Chapter 9: This Pain Wouldn't be for Evermore

After all these years, Harry still remembered their chance encounter with fondness. How they had stumbled upon each other, metaphorically of course, in the middle of a silent library.

“Hey, may I have that book?” Harry had asked, spying the fifth edition of Inner Workings of Criminology sitting in between a pile of mismatched books. Mismatched in the sense that no one subject was related to the other.

“Um, hello?” He had tried again when his first question had been resolutely ignored. He had a paper to write and submit by midnight, and he needed that book. The boy, who sat with the grace of a Prince and expression of an annoyed toddler, had hoarded enough books to cover the whole table-top.

He was not wearing any earphones, so it wasn’t like he might have not heard Harry. Or maybe... Harry was being a conceited bastard. Maybe the boy could not hear him.

He moved closer, extending his arm until it was in the boy’s view and rapped his knuckles on the table. When the boy turned his face up with a frustrated sigh, Harry quickly signed a ‘hello’ with his hands. And God, was the boy pretty. Harry had to remind himself not to gawk, he had been raised better than that. But how did one stop gazing at the moon; shining through a blank canvas littered over the sky?

“I can hear you just fine,” the boy spoke through gritted teeth, shocking Harry with his accent. He had not entertained the possibility of finding another English man. “It is called not liking who you hear, genius.”

Harry stared at him, feeling dumbstruck. It was true then, never judge a book by its cover. A beat passed and he said, “Oh, well, sorry about that. I just need a book from your pile.” He tapped at the spine to indicate which one.

“What do you think my answer’s gonna be?” The boy smiled sweetly, crossing his arms over the table.

“More and more no.”

“Ding, ding, ding. You win nothing,” the boy said in a purposely dull voice, turning away again to the opened binder in front of him; a thesis, probably an old one by the look of the yellowing pages.

Harry hesitated for a moment, contemplating at just leaving but he did need that book. He had searched the whole library for it before asking the librarian who had pointed him in the boy’s direction.

“I have a paper due—”

The boy huffed, pinning him again with those clear blue eyes, “And currently the book is with me. Looks like we are at a stalemate, or rather, we are not. I have an advantage, and no inclination to hand it over. Goodbye.”

Harry gave a defeated nod, mouth pursed as he slumped back to his table. He typed the password to his laptop, other hand supporting his head as he contemplated what to do next. Maybe he could pirate the book online, but that would mean scrolling through the whole text, and that was on the off chance that he did find the book. Or maybe he could purchase the book. Who was he kidding? It would probably cost half his monthly rent.

With a silent groan Harry let his head fall on the table. He was going to flunk. He would have to retake the class next semester. It would reflect poorly on his degree, all because he was late to submit his paper—a very important one that he should have completed days ago.

He jerked back up when a thud resonated at the table. The boy stood on the other side, rolling his eyes when the librarian shushed loudly. He raised his eyebrows when the boy sat on the unoccupied chair, flipping through the book Harry had asked for.

“Well, please sit,” he murmured.

“When is your assignment due?” The boy asked.