10. The Wedding

"I can't breathe Henry".

I look at Henry with teary eyes begging him to stop. He chuckles, "should I stop, Nathan?" I pull him closer and whisper in his ears, "No! Put it in."

- Year 1870 -

I open my eyes, "A dream?" I look around to see where I'm. A knock on the door snaps me from my train of thoughts, "Prince? Prince Nathan are you awake?" I permit Will who is one of the court servants to come in. I smile and greet him. Will has an ear splitting smile, "My Lord, you must be nervous?"

I absent mindedly answer his question, "a little but nothing your Prince can't handle. Do you need anything Will?" Will was here to inform me that the guests have started pouring in. "I think you should hurry my liege."

Today is a bit different than the other days - it is my wedding. Wedding is a huge occasion and celebration in everyone's life and why shouldn't it be? You find a partner who not only shares your happy but also not so happy moments.

You often hear your parents, elders or the so called wise ones say a happy marriage is the union of two souls or marriages are made in heaven. And they are right. After all a marriage ties your faith to your partner's. Marriage isn't the end but the beginning of life.

My parents have been eagerly waiting for this day and honestly they don't know how to hold back. The ceremony is held in our castle's main garden and it looks exquisite. 'Why of course dear, we have all the money in the world', I roll my eyes remembering what Mother said yesterday. I don't understand why anyone would spend so much when they are so many who have none.

I'm walking down the aisle and I see Henry standing there, seeing him always improves my mood and instead of maintaining my composure as the Prince I leap towards him to tell him how much I missed him. As I reach him I see Lady Ida standing next to him. Why are her arms locked in his? Why isn't Henry pushing her away? I look at Henry and all of a sudden the memories come flooding in.

My breathing becomes uneven and I gasp for air. Fear fills my mind as I remember, Today I marry Princess Kora and Henry is married to Lady Ida.

A royal messenger breaks my panic with an announcement that makes my fear disappear. "I have bad news" looking at the King my father, "we have received a letter stating the bride and her parents are stuck in their country due to a landslide. The landslide is blocking their main entrance in and out of the kingdom and they have been trying to get rid of it for a few days. They should be here by Wednesday morning."

He clears his throat and quotes the message from King Peter, Kora's father, "King Samuel, Queen and my lady Vanessa and Prince Nathan, I apologize for the unfortunate incident. Please pardon our delay' – says King Peter"

My father sighing heavily says, "I guess we can't do anything about it". He turns to look at me and catches me grinning like a fool. "Enjoy your freedom while it lasts, son" he smirks.

Wednesday! That is 5 days away. I think I have enough time to cook up a plan. I rush back to my room to plot an ingenious plan.

Or so I thought...

It is Monday and I still have nothing. I am so confused - are the heavens with me or against me? I thought these 5 days were God sent? "If so why aren't you helping me? Please give me a sign or something. Anything would do," I growl at the heavens.

Moreover, Henry has been avoiding me like the plague. I sent for him a million times but he avoided each one of them. This is driving me crazy. I'm as lost as the city of Atlantis. Helpless and clueless I decide on sleeping. I still have tomorrow, right? I'm sure I'll think of something by tomorrow.

A sudden knock on my door scare the wits out of me. I reluctantly open the door wondering who it could be considering it is the middle of the night. "We have to talk, it wouldn't be long," it's Henry. I can't contain my joy I leap to hug him but he stops me, "may I come in?"

Henry is dressed like a ninja, covered in a dark black robe. His long black hair is falling out from his robe over his broad shoulders. I giggle thinking how someone can look funny and handsome at the same time. "I'll get straight to the point. I don't know what you are thinking but it's too late to back down. You better marry her and you better become the King. I am trying to live a happy life. For God's sake, don't ruin my life anymore Nathan."

I'm stumped by those words, "Henry I don't understand why you don't want us to be together?" Henry snaps his neck to look at me with cold eyes. I'm familiar with this look but this is the first time they were directed towards me.

"Why?" he asks barely above a whisper. Henry stiffens and speaks in a stern voice again, "because you are too much of a coward Nathan. You think I wanted any of this. Marrying Ida was the biggest mistake of my life. Actually strike that off loving you is the biggest mistake of my life."

I look at him with a hopeful smile, "you said is".

"Huh?" Henry looks at me confused. I look down at the floor and start fiddling with my fingers nervously. "You said 'loving me is' which means you still love me," I look up at Henry. I see his face turn red, is he blushing?

"Henry please, listen to me I have a plan." Grr! Actually I don't. "and we will be able to be together again. FOREVER!" emphasizing on the last word I take Henry's hands in my own.

"Henry! I love you please don't leave me or hate me. I will die if you do," tears start rolling down my eyes. I see Henry's gaze soften. He cups my chin and lifts my face up. I tip toe lifting myself up and Henry bends down towards my lips. I close my eyes in anticipation. I can feel Henry's breath on me. "Running away again, are we?" I hear Henry spat those words out in annoyance.

I open my eyes to see Henry's angry face. I close my eyes again out of fear. "You are such a coward Nathan. I don't wish to be with a coward Prince like you. That's why I chose Ida-". I cut him off, "yo... you... you are lying Henry, I kn... kn... know you love me." I hesitantly inch towards him but stop when Henry flinches at my movement. I see anger raging in Henry's eyes.

Henry is scary when he is angry I learnt that the hard way. When Henry gets angry he doesn't raise his fist or yell at me but he punishes me in the most humiliating ways. Last time he tied me to the bed and spanked my behind till it was tomato red.

He left me tied to the bed for the entire night... that too nake... naked, but he came back in the morning to untie me before any servants arrive at my door. Henry looks very angry right now and God only knows what sort of punishment awaits me.

I blush in anticipation and Henry catches my reaction. "What is wrong with your face?" with a brow raised he asks, "What about this situation is making you blush?" Henry is very cute when he is confused. I chuckle.

"It's just like the old days Henry," I whisper loud enough for Henry to hear me. "Nothing has changed. I am me and you are you. Let's start a fresh Henry. I beg you. Please don't abandon me now." I look at Henry in hope he would give in.

But I should have known better. "It's nothing like the old days Nathan," Henry spats in annoyance again. "I can't even look at your face. The thought of loving you disgusts me. Ida is a beautiful woman with a beautiful body you are nothing compared to her. So stay away from me. Prince Nathan".

 Prince Nathan"