8

"Bobby," Dean speaks into the phone as you pull up to a gas station by the side of the empty highway, "We're in Jackson. It's not pretty. He looks even worse than Olivia. What about you?"

Stepping from the car, Sam puts the gas pump into the car and lets it fill. You stand beside Dean, narrowed and curious eyes on him as you try to listen to Bobby, "What's he saying?"

"I checked on Carl Bates and R.C. Adams," Bobby responds, "They've redecorated... in red."

"It's not looking good," Dean tells you, letting out a sigh, "What the hell is going on here, Bobby? Why did a bunch of ghosts suddenly want to gank off-duty hunters?"

"I don't know, but until we find out, you guys better get your asses to my place," Bobby suggests. You hold back a sigh, looking out into the vast road, thinking.

"On our way," Dean says before ending the call, "No signs of demonic activity - Bobby's thinking ghosts, just like us."

"Ghosts appearing all of a sudden?" Sam wonders, looking between the two of you, "Were they summoned somehow?"

"No idea," Dean responds curtly, pulling out his wallet without another word before heading to the service station - no doubt to get some snacks.

"Hey, uh," Sam begins, pausing when you look at him, "We never really got to talk one on one."

"Yeah," you nod, your face expressionless, "I guess we haven't."

Sam seems tense, you can tell straight away. "Look, I'm sorry for that phone call," he admits, giving you an awkward yet apologetic look, "I didn't want to be found... didn't wanna see anyone."

You narrow your eyes at him, "Sam, I wasn't trailing you. I was trying to make deals, I'm guessing it led us to the same places."

"Right," he nods, looking down, "I'm sorry either way. It was uncalled for. I saw you one night and I guess it just reminded me that Dean was gone."

You just nod, slowly, watching him suck in a deep breath, "It would've at least been nice to hear your voice some other way. I missed you."

Sam smiles, reaching his arms out and pulling you into a hug, "I missed you too. Sorry that I never kept in touch with anyone."

"Deans back now," you squeeze him, closing your eyes gently, "as long as we're together and you're okay, that's all that matters to me. Alright?"

"Yeah, alright," Sam nods, pulling away and giving you a smile, "hey, look after this I'll be back in a second." He smiles, gesturing to the bathroom out the back of the service station.

You just nod, taking the pump from the car and setting it down. Spying Dean inside the store, you watch as he walks around the aisles with his arms full of food. Smiling to yourself, you can't help but thank every fibre of the universe that he's back - that he was saved by Castiel and by God, which is something you still can't wrap your head around.

From the corner of your eye, you see a figure standing, facing you. Dean? You turn to look and your eyes widen at the sight of Castiel. It's like he read your thoughts, suddenly appearing across the street from nowhere. Marching across the street, you go out of view the Winchesters.

"Y/N," the angel watches as you approach, giving a gentle nod.

"Castiel," you say, confused, "what are you doing here?"

He towers over you, but he isn't intimidating. He looks neutral, almost just calm. "I came to see you," he begins, his voice raspy and so deep, "take note of how I'm speaking to you, and you alone."