Chapter 4 - Mr. Luigi Lombardozzi

This chapter contains: Mentions of death (murder and suicide), Mentions of abuse

"Then we'll take you to the police station, do some background searches, DNA tests and get a social worker who will be handling your case" I slowly nod my head once again and get back into the car. Charles jogs up to the paramedics, and signs something with his hands before coming back to the car. "Okay, let's go"

----------------------------------------

Vivianna POV:

"Have you had breakfast yet?" Charles asks me not long after we start the drive back to the police station. "No" "Do you want to stop at McDonalds?" Once he sees my hesitation, he is quick to add "I'll pay, don't worry" To be honest, I've never tasted anything else than the leftovers of the food I made for Luca and my mother, but I've heard kids at school talk about it, so I might be a tiny bit curious to see what the big commotion was about. "Thank you, but I have some money I can use" "Nonsense! We're getting food and I'm paying" he says in a 'don't-argue-with-me tone'. "Okay, sounds good" I breathlessly laugh a forced laugh. I mean he offered to buy me food, so I can show some gratitude.

"I'll have the Big Mac with a large fries and large coke" Charles orders once we get to the first window at the drive thru. "What do you want?" he asks, turning to me. "I'll just have a small fry, please" I don't know what they have on the menu, and I'm not intending to let Charles know that I have never had McDonalds. He looks at me with concern before turning back to the window. "And can I please get a small fry with 6-piece chicken nuggets?" Once the lady tells him the total, he pays and drives to the next window to retrieve the food.

"Just eat how much you can, I just bought you chicken nuggets as well, because I've never seen a teenager eat just a small fry" Charles tells me, laughing, when we are back on the road. "Yeah, I just didn't want to seem greedy" I lie, forcing another small laugh to tumble from my lips. It feels weird to fake a laugh or a smile the entire time. I am so used to people not noticing whether I am happy or not, so I never bother to fake my emotions. I know under the circumstances of losing both my "parents", no one will think weird of me for being sad, but the problem is that I'm not sad about losing them.

Arriving at the police station, I grab my bag from the backseat and follow behind Charles. He takes me to his office and tells me to wait on the couch, while he calls some people to handle the case. The walls in his office are an off-white color, decorated with a few paintings across. Upon entering there is a desk on the right-hand side, with a lone chair next to it for a visitor or colleague to sit in. On the opposite side of the room, a small two-seater couch fills the space with a side table to the right. It isn't overembellished, but the needed touches are perfectly done.

I am so intrigued by the office that I don't hear someone enter the room. "Vivianna, this is Evelyn" Charles introduces. I nod a nod of cognizance at the woman in front of me. She is probably mid – twenties, with dirty blonde hair hanging onto her shoulders. Her glasses sit at the tip of her nose as her brown eyes scan my face. "Nice to meet you, Vivianna. Charles asked me to do the DNA test, he said you don't know about any relatives, so I want to see if I can help you find someone." She speaks in a very high-pitched tone, but it doesn't irritate me like I thought it would. It is almost relaxing, maybe because I know she is trying to help me.

"Uh yeah, I don't know about any relatives" I finally speak. I feel bad that she is making an effort to talk to me, so the least I can do is confirm. Evelyn tells me that we can just stay in the office when she does the blood test, and it will only take a few seconds - though it would take a minimum of four hours to get the results.