Chapter Nine

Technically Mary MacDonald wasn't alone.
She knew that. She knew that every single day when she convinced herself to get out of bed, to shower, to get dressed.
She had a husband, children, a family who thought she was coping at least. She'd had Remus. One person from her childhood who was still alive, but now the letters had stopped, the rare visits, the late night phone calls when they couldn't stop remembering. And now Mary MacDonald wouldn't let herself hope. She'd hoped for Marlene to come back from her parents but she never had. She'd hoped that Lily and James would be alive even though she'd known the truth deep down. She'd hoped that perhaps Sirius wouldn't have really done that to Peter,  foolish as it had been. Nothing had ever gotten better, they died and died and were dead. And Mary wasn't a fool, she'd heard the news, no matter who may or may not believe it. They were Lily and James' children after all.
She'd always known she should go to them, perhaps adopt them even. But Mary had left that all behind. She was all alone. Technically.

Until that day when all of a sudden her life had the possibility of getting better again.
It was a bad day. Mary had good days where she thought she could be getting better, and bad days where she'd lie in bed until the afternoon and then cry in the shower and then go back to bed, unable to face the world. And today was a bad day.
Mary's husband didn't know much about her school, only the bare minimum. She was a witch. There'd been a war. Only her and one friend had survived. They coped in their own way, if you could call the ways that they both lived coping. He also knew that Mary had stopped hearing from the one friend last year, and that the bad days had become more frequent after his letters and calls had stopped.

Mary had never shown any of her children pictures of her friends when they'd gone through pictures of her when she'd been 19, to show them how beautiful their mum had been.
Her son would have never realised that the people at the door were her friends. Her real friends. Not the mums at school who called her a bad mum behind her back. No, her real friends, people she loved and people she sobbed for.

"Mum. Mum." Her son whispered. Her eldest, ten years old. He'd get his letter soon and Lord knew what Mary was going to do then. Probably run in the opposite direction.
"Mum. I know I'm never supposed to wake you but there's a man at the door and he says he really needs you. Really needs you."

She yawned, her neck cracking as she raised her head. "Have you asked him if it's really important Jamie?"

Her son shifted on his feet nervously. "I know you said that you should never judge someone for the scars they have because it's never their fault," Mary sat up straight, grabbing her dressing gown and her slippers, "but he has a lot of scars on his face mum, and something feels wrong about it all. Please can you just come talk to him."

"Go get your sisters and your father."

"They're down at the shops-"

"Go get them and don't come back until I come find you."

"Mum, he's not that bad-"

"When I come find you I'll say the magic word. Grindylows. If I don't say that you need to find this address," she handed a piece of paper to him, "and don't talk to anyone until you find the women at that house okay. She's called Minerva McGonagall. Tell her they came to our house."

"Mum? Mum!" She stared into his pale face, kissing his brown gently. "I don't know anything that you're talking about."

"I know." She replied. "But you need to follow my instructions." She grabbed her wand, holding tight to his arm and apparating behind the small Co op on the corner. The feeling of magic was running through her again, finally, for the first time in years.
Her son stumbled backwards and she grabbed him by the arm, tears pricking at the edge of her eyes.

"What was-"

"I'm sorry." She whispered. "I'm sorry and I love you so much."
He stared up at her with her honey brown eyes.

"Mum. Don't go. Please don't go!" She was a bad mum. The mums at school would never leave their children like this, confused upset, but if that wasn't Remus, or if Sirius had got Remus. Her children would be dead as well as her.

"Tell your father, and Marlene and Lily that I love them, and I'm sorry." And then apparated away again, hating the thrill of the way magic roared through her.

__

Kind of a filler chapter for you to get an insight of Mary but I'm literally starting the next one right after so you won't have to wait long :)
Hopefully you guys are enjoying this and it fits your ideas of the Marauders.