Chapter Ten

The figure standing in the kitchen was familiar to Mary. She knew him like she knew Hogwarts, there were things to him that no one could predict or guess at, and there were things to him that you could only see if you knew him well enough. But he was also home. More of a home than the rented cottage in Cornwall.

"Where did we meet last time I saw you?"

"The Golden dragon egg."
Mary nodded at him, accepting that it was Remus at least.
"Hello Mary."

"I thought you were dead." She gripped the wand tighter and saw his hazel eyes flick to where her knuckles had gone white.

"No. But I'm sure you've heard all about it. We need to talk to you Mary."

"I'm not joining the Order again. We were made into child soldiers and I've told you, I've left all that behind."

"I'm not asking for you to join the order again. I'm asking that you come into hiding. You're not stupid Mary, you know they'll come for you. You won't be able to hide without magic."

"I-"

"Think about your family Mary. I know you might not want to see the magical world but it'll be better that your alive among wizards rather than you're all dead because you were too stubborn to accept help."

She stared at him. Almost two years and this was what he had to say.

"I wouldn't have thought Remus Lupin would talk to me about being stubborn."

Remus didn't reply, he just stood in the doorway of the cottage, letting the cold air in.
"Mary, a lot of things have changed."

"You think I don't know that?"

Remus shook his head. "Mary... Sirius is innocent."

Her heart plummeted, causing her to grab onto the kitchen counter for support. "No, Remus. No."

"Yes. Mary-"

"No. Remus he killed Lily and James and Pete and he probably gave all our locations to You-Know-Who." She gasped, her lungs felt like they were shrivelling in her chest.

"Mary it's true."

"Marlene, Dorcas, Frank and Alice and Neville."

"No. Mary it was Peter." He said firmly. Pressing his lips together.

"Remus. Peter's dead. People don't just come back from the dead we both know that."
That cold day where her and Remus sat in the corner of the dingy flat, refusing to move and light the fire or turn the light on as the sun set, wishing that they'd walk through the door, Harry and Neville in tow. All alive, all sane. All gone.

"We thought we knew Mary, we thought we knew, but they do. Peters alive Mary."

"Remus no!" She said sharply. "Don't pretend, don't say this."

"Mary listen to me."

"No-"

"Mary. James and Sirius and Peter became animagus in our fourth year. Peter was a rat and Sirius was a dog, it's how he escaped from Azkaban."
She could have sworn her heart stopped beating.

"What are you saying Remus?"

"Peter was the secret keeper. He betrayed Lily and James and then when Sirius discovered what he'd done he went after Peter and Peter killed all them muggles and turned into a rat and disappeared."

"How do you know Remus? How do you know?"

"Tell me honestly Mary, which do you think?"

"I don't know." She replied, but she did know. She knew Sirius and she knew Peter and she knew Remus. She knew the truth really, had always questioned it. And she'd been so stupid to believe it, she didn't even need evidence, she knew the rat and the dog Remus talked about. She'd seen them with her own eyes.
"Okay then Remus. I believe you then, but what of it? His name's not cleared, Peter's still out there."

He hesitated for a second. "There's more, but I need you to bring your family and come with me. I can't speak about it here."

"Why?"

"Because Mary. James and Lily are alive. They've been resurrected."

__

So sorry, my wifi went down and then the signal and I didn't have any data