Meeting

Jun had heard stories of a mysterious dragon and masked rider pair going around, checking on the villagers. No one knew where the rider or their dragon lived. Most assumed it was within a cave, deep in the mountains. She had yet to encounter the two, meditating on the clifftop when she sees a black and white flash speed past, wings beating powerfully. Watching it go, Jun scratches her head in confusion. Walking back to her home, she glimpses an armoured figure following her.

Turning to check behind her, she finds nothing. Shaking her head, she keeps going. When she hears a twig snap, spinning to investigate the noise. A masked person watches her, silent and unmoving. Then the black and white flash from before dives down and grabs it's rider by the shoulders, disappearing into the night sky. She follows their path, stunned. 'That was the dragon rider! They came to check up on me!' She realises. Opening the door and hurrying inside, she finds herself thinking about the masked rider.

Deep in the mountains, hidden cave.
"Well, Thunder. We're back. Checked on some villagers. Done." The rider spoke to his dragon. The only survivor of a mountainside plane crash, he eventually encountered Thunder and began to call the cave his home. Then he made some armour and a mask to protect himself from the wind. He was part of a Night Fury clan, with Thunder as alpha. He thought about the mysterious lilac eyed woman who'd watched him be carried off by his best friend. He decided to fly back and bring her to his home.

Gliding low over the city, he searched for her. Finding his target, Thunder put his claws out, ready to grab her shoulders and carry her off. Once close enough, Thunder ripped her from the ground and rapidly climbed, her mother and other villagers shouting to put her down. Tom's mother, Olivia Kullersen, who had settled in the city hoping to find her long thought dead son's body, chased after them, aiming to rescue Jun. But Tom and Thunder were too fast, speeding ahead and disappearing into the clouds.

Flying through the valleys, Jun looked at her surroundings. She blinked, seeing them dive and bank, entering a cave. Once landing, she was released. The rider slid from their dragon's back, curious. "Do you have a name?" Jun asked her kidnapper. Sensing she'd be more comfortable without the mask, they took it off, revealing a smooth, rugged male face. She stared at him, trying to figure out where she'd seen his face before. Then it clicked. "You were in that plane crash! The one with pretty much no survivors! You've been alive all this time, hiding out here, with a dragon? Your mother's going to be over the moon, so happy when she finds out you're alive and surviving, hiding out in a cave." Jun babbled. He slipped his mask back on, to conceal his face from Olivia.

"Thunder's not the only dragon here. There's an entire clan. My best friend is their Alpha." Olivia's son spoke. Growls sounded and vivid, bright, glowing emerald eyes appeared, black shapes stalking from the shadows. Jun gasped in shocked fear, stumbling back. Go get my mother. Look for a blonde woman. Someone who looks just like me, only female. Go! Tom sent the message to Thunder, who left the cave, returning ten minutes later. That's her. Good job pal. Tom smiled, mask disguising his features.

"Jun! You're okay! And who's this?" Olivia Kullersen asked her. Hiding in the shadows, Tom started singing, recalling the lullaby Olivia sang to him as a baby. The elder's eyes widened, joining in. Walking from the darkness, Tom pulled his mask off. "Long time no see, Mom." He said, eyes elsewhere. "I went twelve years without you. They told me you were dead!" Olivia gasped, eyes watering and hands flying to her mouth, before crushing her long thought dead son in a tight hug.

He hugged her back, having gone without human contact or touch for years. She pulled away, holding his face in her hands. "Will you come home? Will you come back to me?" She asked, hopeful. He shook his head, walking to the cave edge. "My home is with Thunder's clan now, protecting him and the Night Furies. I've survived out here twelve years. I can't go back, no matter how hard I want to or try, I've committed to keeping them safe. I found my calling. Simple." Tom explained to his mother.

Downcast and saddened that she'd be forever separated from her only son, Olivia Kullersen was ready to let him go. He had a life, protecting the Night Furies, keeping them out of danger. Olivia stepped forward one last time. "I'll miss you. With all my heart." She sniffled. "I'm not too far from you. We can still see each other. I'll send Thunder to get you." He comforts her, before backing up and collecting himself. "Thunder, take Mom home. Jun stays with me. It's time I introduced her to our world." Tom ordered.

Watching his best friend plunge out of sight with his mother gripped tightly in his legs, Tom turned to Jun, taking her hand and leading her deeper into the cave. Hurrying behind him, Jun followed, helplessly blind. Arriving at a wide opening, Tom went in, letting her hand go and cupping his hands over his mouth, an odd, high-pitched whistle sounding. Suddenly black shapes appeared, running his way. Bolting forward, he disappeared under a pile of excited Night Furies. "Whoa whoa whoa get off! Let me up!" A strange, odd growling noise echoed from Tom's throat.

Jun skittered backwards, scared. "What was that?!" She demanded. Tom glanced back at her. "Oh. Thunder taught me to speak his language. Dragonese. I've pretty much mastered it. I needed to learn so I could talk to his clan." He said. She nodded, understanding. A female Night Fury with bizarre lilac eyes came up to Jun, curious. Sniffing the woman, she pressed her nose into Jun's hand. Tom watched, smiling. "She's bonded with you. Go on, give her a name." He encouraged. "Lavender. Her name is Lavender." Jun decided. Tom froze, as if listening to something.

"Her name is actually Black Lilac. But Lavender works too." He said. Jun pondered. 'Black Lilac. I like it. Black Lavender works too, I guess.' She thought. Rubbing her new dragon's head, Jun watched Tom. Strong and well-built, he was toned and muscular from the many years spent riding and wrestling Night Furies. He towered over her at a massive 6'4. She strained to look up at him. Despite that, she had begun to explore the cave system he'd called home for twelve years. Only 9 when the plane crashed, he wandered and managed to find shelter.

Then he met Thunder and the Night Fury's clan. His mother had a visit from police, saying there were no survivors.

Flashback, 12 years ago.

Olivia heard a knock at her door. Walking up and opening it, she was met with two policemen. "Can I help you?" She asked. "Are you Mrs Olivia Kullersen?" One spoke. She nodded. "I am. Why?" She said. "Your son's plane crashed in the Appalachian Mountains. There were no survivors. I'm sorry." The other explained. Her eyes widened and she collapsed, breaking down in tears. The policemen left.

Flashback end.

Wandering into a cave, Jun heard singing. "If I could turn back the clock, I'd make sure the light defeated the dark. I'd spend every hour of every day keeping you safe." She went further, only to find Tom, eyes closed and sad. Ending the song, he turned to face her.

Two weeks later.

Tom had lost Jun in the winding cave, searching for her when he heard her voice.
"Close our eyes, believe with all my might, spark a dream, light it up till it burns bright. Though a world far away, you and I will remain." She sang, voice like honey and sugar sweet. Melodic and lilting, he listened as she finished. He blinked, head over heels for her.
She turned to him, startled and nervous. "Did you like it?" She asked. "You've got skill." He passively told her, whistling.

Thunder came running in. "Take Jun home, pal. She doesn't belong here with us. This life isn't right for her." Grabbing the girl, Thunder returned her home. Wandering to the cave mouth, Tom sat down, legs dangling over the edge. He missed his mother, but twelve years living with dragons had turned him feral and wild. He knew he could never go back to his old life, no matter how much he wanted to.

'This isn't the life you wanted for me, but here I am, feral and wild. Though time has changed me, I am still your son. Oh, I wish I could come home, despite it being impossible. Mom, I am only half an hour away from you.' He mournfully sang, sad blue eyes looking toward the foothill city.