Chapter IX: He's Gone

"The truth can be bitter,
the truth can be sweet.
Some listen to nobody because
of the state of mind they choose to keep."

...............

"And you're sorry for our . . . 'loss'?"

The girl, Remi, gaped her mouth before slightly lowering her eyes to the ground, "You . . . haven't heard the news?" she asked, seemingly shocked.

Adrion and I both shakily looked at each other, before turning back and shaking our heads.

Remi sighed, "Y-you probably don't want to know, then." She waved her arms up, shaking them, and closed her eyes to appear as if she were smiling.

"Would he happened to have m-maybe . . . taken his life?"

.

.

.

Remi's POV

Our eyes drew toward this Adrion boy, utter shock leaking into our expressions at how well he guessed.

My mind turned to a new and blanked page as the glazed-over eyes in my skull stayed boring into the eyes of the mysterious boy.

If . . . if neither haven't seen the news, then how would they know?

The unbearable silence was long and draining until it was cut short by the clearing of a throat-Arlo was the one who had done it.

"And how would you know that? Did you hear from him speaking of wanting to . . . do that?" Arlo asked, removing his hands from the confines of his blazer to place them in front of his chest.

Claire's glassy eyes turned to the ground and took on more of a shallow tint. "N-no, unfortunately not," she said.

"We hadn't actually heard from him in around three years," Adrion continued for her, subconsciously moving a hand to comfort her.

I furrowed my partially fixed brows in confusion, "How would you know, then? His father?" I asked, trying to find out how they knew this information.

Claire shook her head drooping low, "We haven't heard from him as long as John." Her head suddenly lifted. "I knew because I had a vision."

Out of the corner of my eye, I saw Arlo grow sceptical; his stupid face was just fully contorted with it as a brow raised and lips slightly pursed.

"A . . . vision?" I asked as my hand frisked past my face.

Claire nodded at my wondering "Mhm. My ability is clairvoyance. I randomly get visions of possible outcomes of the future; I saw him . . . standing on a bridge."

Arlo's forehead crinkled at the sudden tension. "Odd," he stated, simply, evidently nothing more to say on the matter.

Claire's mouth turned to a complexed smile, "W-well, I've never thought of my Ability as too out of the ordinary," she said, hands fidgeting with each other.

Arlo stuck a hand out to further explain what he meant. "Not that— no," he stopped so suddenly, hand being placed back into his pocket, "Nevermind,"