Chapter IXX: Completely Brand New

"Young Draco Malfoy...
he looks just like
Gurdy Giggles
from the OG Spy Kids."

...............

Alden's POV

Ended his . . . ended his life?

My movement hitched as she spoke to me—holding my breath, waiting for a moment when her peering eyes were not glued to me so that I could breathe.

An odd feeling fell into mind—seeping through the rest of my many uninterested thoughts.

William did that? That doesn't sound like him—

...

no...

What do I know?

Valerie twitched her brow at my silent reaction—the eyes that she watched over glazed with thought and wonder.

The people surrounding us merely continued to work amongst themselves—keys clicking with the fingers that worked away in peace and quietly discussing who would search who and who would solve what.

I was drowned in that small chatter—it serving as a whitewash to my confusion.

"Are you alright?" Valerie asked me, comfortingly drawing circles around my back, "Do you need a minute? I know death can be a lot to process . . . even of somebody you never knew."

I shook my head, accidentally shaking her hand off with a sudden jerking motion, falling backward in my chair, "N-no. I'm fine. Really," I heard myself faintly voice to her.

It didn't even sound like me.

The words that tumbled from my mouth left a bitter taste on my tongue—what was I saying? I do care, I just . . . don't know why.

Valerie frowned at me—not a tinge of anger, only confusion in her crinkled mouth. "I see," she spoke.

Changing the conversation and switching to something that seemed to be more of comfort to me, she slowly began repeating her previous instructions; 'find as much information as possible on each person that lay glued to the page,' was the summary she gave.

"Since it is your first time doing this, I've reserved one of the easier ones for you," she cited to me, pulling another sheet from her bag, "one we know who has been flaunting her lack of control to the public."

I attentively removed the ink-covered sheet from her outstretched hand—information already splayed in black and a large image of the girl on the top right-hand corner.

She seemed maybe my age—possibly a little older (me not being quite sure as to when I was born). Her ability seemed interesting—reasonably powerful, too; she was an upcoming vigilante.

Raelyn Ezra.

A bright smile stuck plastered to her slightly darker-toned face, a mop of silver and puffed up hair framing her kind features as she looked into the camera with sky blue eyes.

Her ability: Storm, level 5.2. 'This ability allows her to control the elements of a storm either altogether or separately to fight her enemies in an ensemble of different ways,' it read in the black ink.