Chapter XXII: Key to My Life

"Melt me down and
build me back up.
Do it however you wish."

...............

Alden's POV

A deep sigh fell out from the confines of my throat; a very bored deep sigh.

"The smooth-head blobfish—also simply known as blobfish—is in the family of the Psychrolutidae. It inhabits the deep waters off the coasts of mainland Australia and Tasmania, as well as the waters of New Zealand. Blobfish are typically..."

Kick, kick, kick.

"While they can grow up to about 12cm long; when born, they start off as..."

Kick, kick, kick.

"Let's review why this is interesting."

No thank you.

My hand reached out to quickly turn the knob of the radio, turning off the annoying man and his facts about . . . blowfish, was it? I sighed heavily to myself, leg retracting from the top of the darkly-coloured glovebox as I placed my elbow upon the edge of the window, head resting upon my palm.

The people who strode passed in their groups of one or two ignored the government-mandated van, the voice that droned on and on through the speaker came in one ear and fell out the other. I was already bored and it had only been around six minutes of sitting in the car.

You'd think I'd be better at waiting—y'know, since I've been sitting in a boring room for several weeks with nothing to do.

That may be why I'm so bored, though; I'm finally free after many weeks of capture.

I rolled my eyes at thought of the boredom I had faced in that room; it was strong and always lingered within those pale walls and crisp sheets. There was never anything much to do. I'm not really allowed to explore.

Doesn't matter, now. I'm bored.

Valerie had told me that I shouldn't vacate myself from the car. I was supposed to wait a couple of months—years, maybe—before being able to meet her nephew. According to her, he may think I'm a little too 'immature' to be in such a high position.

He was only my age, so how immature could I be?

How mature could he be?

Or was my age just maybe not quite suitable for the job I retained to? Before me, she was giving it to him, wasn't she?

My head turned to look out the darkly tinted window, new silence in the car finally letting me focus. I couldn't see her from where the car sat; no point in knowing where they were if I wasn't allowed in, anyway.

A scoff fell from my throat at the thought.

Doesn't matter. I'm bored.

The door opened with a click and a squeak, my foot making contact with the hot concrete ground as I pushed myself off of my seat and onto the world. The sun reflected off of my black, leather shoes, soaking into the dark blackish-blue of my suit; the change in temperature was almost dramatic.