Chapter XIV: Problems Follow Every Crowd

"Friends can come
when you least expect them.
Accept them as they wander
past."

...............

Seraphina's POV

I walked along the narrow staircase of the school's dorm building, people quietly passing by as my tired legs carried me further up the never-ending stairs, hand tracing the metal bar attached to the wall.

I had returned from the mental hospital a million miles away, and was now heading toward my dorm—where I assume my friends had waited—Elaine, at the very least.

My body was exhausted—mind was cloudy and tired with thoughts as blank and boring as all time could create wafting through my mind.

Glances were thrown at my dishevelled state by the few people who saw—unkempt hair brushing on my pale face, clothes in a mess.

Of course, it was a shock from my once-subordinates to see me in such a way.

They stared at me with their invasive peeping eyes.

"It's nothing," is what I would mumble to them if they had asked me what was wrong. They nodded carefully and continued to watch me on my journey—probably not believing me for a moment.

I didn't even believe myself, either. 'It's nothing,' is what people at when they don't want to harm somebody else with the thoughts or feelings that run through their sinful mind.

The truth is, I wasn't ready for the conversation that they were going to beat into my ears.

I was scared.

First time I had heard Arlo speak his thoughts, that ended me up running all the way to a mental institution in freaking Cambridge.

Which is . . . 2 hours away...

by car.

I was knocked from my thoughts when the stairs suddenly stopped in front of my eyes, the surface before me now flattening into the next floor, my floor . . . at least I assume that's where they are.

I paced past the doorways that had been stuck in the walls, various numbers carved into the wood, not stopping until I reached my own, my hand reaching to the handle and tugging at it.

It was unlocked.

Before I could even open it, it was flung open into my apartment, Remi's worried face being the first thing that I could see.

"Sera!" she yelled, leaping forward to get a closer look at me—my body shivered with the tiresome feeling that ran through my system as she engulfed me with her arms.

The pink-haired girl smiled wistfully at me after she pulled away, "I'm glad to know you're here now, at least," she spoke to me, gently gripping at my arm.

The only thing I managed was a simple nod.

A clock the shape of an orange hung on my wall—the hands ticking slowly over the numbers that had been painted on the orange material.

It was late . . . yet they waited.

Gently motioning at Remi to move to the side, I stood into my room—the only light coming from the warmly-lit streets that shone through uncovered glass and the crack through the door.