TWENTY THREE. unexpected turn of events

XXIII.   unexpected turn of events

When Devore stepped off the train, it was dark and the sky was star filled

When Devore stepped off the train, it was dark and the sky was star filled. It was reminder that she'd be taking Astronomy with Professor Sinistra, which she was excited for. She looked for the others and found Harry standing by himself. "Harold!"

There was only one person who called him Harold. Harry spun around and sighed with relief. "Dev, thank goodness."

"Ron and Hermione not back yet?"

"I guess not." He looked around them. "I suppose we should find a carriage and save a spot for them?"

She grinned. "I like your thinking, Green Eyes."

She took his arm and the strutted forward on the dark, rain washed road outside Hogsmeade station. It was filled with hundreds of horseless carriages that transported students above first year to the castle.  Only this time, they weren't horseless. Devore watched in awe as the creatures who took on the shape of a horse, stood there breathing heavily behind her. She dropped Harry's arm.

They were completely fleshless, their black coats clinging to their skeletons, of which every bone was visible. Their heads were dragonish, and their pupil-less eyes white and staring. Wings sprouted from each wither-vast, black leathery wings that looked as though they ought to belong to giant bats. Standing still and quiet in the gathering gloom, the creatures looked eerie and sinister but at the same time, they were beautiful and Devore couldn't seem to look away from them.

"What are you two looking at?" Ron's voice broke in the air, making her break out of her trance. 

"You don't see it?" Harry asked, seeing as he too could see the horse like creature.

"Hi guys," Neville greeted, joining the group of friends. He was holding an interesting plant in his arms.

"Hey, Neville." They greeted back.

"You don't see the thing pulling the carriage?" Devore asked with furrowed eyebrows.

"Nothing's pulling the carriage, guys," Hermione responded. "It's pulling itself like always."

"You're not going mad," a dream like voice called out from inside the carriage. Devore walked to the side to see it was Luna Lovegood, a Ravenclaw in Ginny's year. The other's followed being her. Luna lowered the upside magazine, The Quibbler, that was covering her face, revealing her bright blue eyes and pale face. "I can see them too. You're just as sane as I am."

Devore knew of Luna through Ginny and Legend, and all of the awful things that she heard from other people. But Devore had spoken to her once or twice, and although she was slightly odd, she was sweet.

The group of friends climbed inside the carriage and crammed together. "Everyone,  this is Loony Lo—"

She shot Hermione a death glare, making her go silent, and her face go red. "Luna Lovegood." She corrected herself slowly, not meeting their eyes.