THIRTY TWO. something bad's about to happen

XXXII. something bad's about to happen

When Isaac died, Devore felt like she had no one

When Isaac died, Devore felt like she had no one. Her mind was purposefully isolating her from everyone, and she turned against those she loved. She had become so comfortable in her suffering that she didn't care who she hurt in the process of dealing with the grief. For a while, Devore didn't know how to deal with the grief properly, and she just became mean, because she didn't want to accept the fact that her dad was gone.

She never gave the people she loved a chance to be there for her, to consolidate her, let her know that she wasn't alone. Devore continued to fall back into the freezing cold isolation until she finally broke out of it. Now Arthur was hurt and Devore would do anything to be there for the Weasley family like she wished she let them be there for her.

When Devore received a letter from her mother explaining to her what happened to Arthur, she rushed to Dumbledore's office and pledged her case to him and Professor McGonagall. "I know leaving at this time isn't permitted—"

"Miss Taylor, I understand your deep concern for Mr. Weasley, and it's admirable. But I simply cannot allow it." Declared Dumbledore, standing with his hands behind his back, his glasses perched at his nose.

Devore stood there, her mouth gaped, trying to figure out what to say. She glanced at McGonagall in the corner of the office, listening silently. She looked back and forth between the professors. "You don't understand, professor. Neither of you do. When my father died, I didn't let anybody in. I didn't let anyone be there for me," she spoke her inner monologue with tears in her eyes. "I pushed all of my friends away because I was scared. And I know how scared Ron and all of his siblings are, and especially now that Harry's scared. They need to know that everything will be okay, and I want to give that to them. We're a family."

There was another set silence in the office. Professor McGonagall stepped forward, standing by Dumbledore's side. "Perhaps, Albus, we could make an exception, seeing as how Mrs. Taylor has caught a horrible sickness," the woman insisted, giving Devore a pointed look through her glasses.

Devore blinked multiple times.

"And her and her brother need to get back to her immediately." McGonagall finished and turned to the headmaster.

Now, Devore and Bennet were on the train with their bags packed. Having to tell her brother what happened to Mr. Weasley was excruciating, because while Devore was close with Molly, Bennet was close with Arthur. It was early in the day, and he'd fallen asleep on her shoulder. Devore knew she'd have to owl her friends and explain her early absence, especially to Olivia.

The thought of Mr. Weasley being hurt made her sick. Arthur was a great man, a good father, it made no sense to her why somebody would want to hurt him. She thought of Ron and Ginny, the youngest siblings who had known their father for the littlest time and then she thought of Fred and George, and how they were probably trying to hold it together for them. Devore knew that feeling well.