The Power of Souls

I remember how it felt to walk down the path, to feel the eyes of the village baring down on me. Casita had lights aimed on me as I nervously walked through the room. I felt the pressure of Abuela's stare on my form. As I walked, my dress moved with me, my hair cascading down my right shoulder in a braid. 

Once I'd reached the stairs, I slowly went up them, trying my hardest not to trip as my short legs moved me. As I made it to the top, it was as if all pressure had drifted away. There were no people, no stares, no Abuela. It was just me and the candle. The glow of the candle shined in my eyes, glowing gold dust embraced my hands and I smiled. I felt Abuela's hand move me to the door that was slowly forming. As my hand gripped the doorknob, everything went quiet. 

There was a sudden gust of wind, no light to be seen except for the candle. The darkness was suddenly broken by a waterfall of silver dust, flowing from the top of the door and falling onto me. The feeling of warmth rushed through me, starting from my hand which was on the door, spreading through my entire body until it ended behind my eyes. I hadn't noticed that I'd closed them until I struggled to open them. 

The sound of gasps was heard throughout the room as people gazed upon my door. A figure that looked like me, but not me now, older, was sitting in a cross-legged position and my hands were out to my sides, wisps of silver coming out of them. The one thing that stood out to me was my eyes on the door, they were glowing a pure silver, no color or anything in them. 

I turned to Abuela with a smile, looking up to her. As she looked down unto me, her stunned smile went slack. "Abuela?" She's quick to bring me into her arms, hiding my face in her skirts. "We have a new Gift! Let us go celebrate!" There were murmurs throughout the crowd as everyone started walking outside. 

I didn't know what was going on, I was scared. Why had Abuela looked at me like that? My eyes stayed shut until a warm, yellow glow appeared in front of my eyes. I opened them to see someone who I didn't know personally, I'd only ever seen his portrait. "Abuelo?" I'd barely whispered it, still in shock. His eyes went wide as they saw mine, quickly filling with mirth and pride as he looked down at me. "SShh, Rosa, not yet. You're alright. Go find your Mama, okay?" With a sad nod, I went to find Mama. 

Making my way through the crowd, everyone I looked at would gasp and look away. Scared and confused, I turned around and bonked heads with my sister, Mirabel. I whined and rubbed my head. "Owww, Mirabel, that hurt." She was rubbing her head until she looked up and saw my eyes. "Wow, Rosa! Your eyes are so cool!" My brows furrowed and I stood up, helping her up as well. "What do you mean, what's wrong with my eyes?" 

"Mama! Come look!" Mirabel grabbed my face and shoved hers closer, looking directly at my eyes in amazement. Our mama had come over, grabbing Mirabel and laughing. "Mirabel, it's not nice to hold your- Oh, my!" She'd cut off her sentence, looking at me with furrowed brows. "Mama, why are you looking at me like that?" Papa appeared behind her, carrying Luisa who was carrying Isabela on her back. "Julieta, what is the matter, my- Oh my God!" Both Luisa and Isabela's eyes went wide with excitement as they squirmed to be put down. 

Papa, in his shock, let them drop. Luisa came up to me and picked me up, crushing me in a hug. "You got your gift! Wow! And your eyes are so cool, they're like marbles." She drifted her sentence, staring at me in wonder. "What, Luisa, what are you talking about?" Isabela wanted her turn, tugging me away and to the fountain of water. "Look, Rosa. Your eyes are so beautiful, like pearls." I couldn't believe it. My reflection stared back at me in shock, my eyes staring back in disbelief. 

With a flash of silver, my vision was filled with so many colors. It was overwhelming. I took a deep breath and looked around me, swarms of color flew around me and I couldn't see people anymore. All I could see were clouds of colors, however, I could feel arms wrap around me. As if the arms were poison, I shot away from them, my breath getting caught in my throat. I slammed my eyes shut and shouted, "Casita, please take me to my room!"