What's Up with Mirabel

As the party continued, I'd managed to get away from Isabela, who was distracted by Mariano. Something wasn't quite right, the colors around me were phasing in and out, some disappearing and others flaring like a flame. Quickly, my mind was muddled, and I became overwhelmed. I left Antonio's room, feeling the migraine begin to thud inside my head. I used the banner to hold myself up as I walked to my room, welcoming the darkness of it. 

I knew something was really wrong when I'd taken a step on the stair and it disappeared from under my foot, causing me to stumble. My eyes widened in shock, going on my knees and looking for the stairs with my hands. When I met nothing but air, I was stunned. "Casita? Are you alright?" Instead of Casita's usual bright soul, all I could see was a silver wisp that looked like a glare of light. 

Almost as soon as it happened, the stairs all appeared at once and I was able to see Casita's soul once again. My migraine had dulled to a headache, and I was so confused. Hesitantly, I head up the stairs and slightly caress my wall. An image of Mirabel talking to Mama with an arepa in her hand came upon it. With a lifted brow, I touched the wall again, focusing on the candle that sat safely in Abuela's window. 

The yellow flame only dimmed slightly before continuing to brighten, lighting her room. With a sigh, I turned to go into my meditation room. I'd lost control, or maybe I hit my head? Or it could be that I was hallucinating, that would make sense of the stair's thing. 

I asked Casita to let me know if anyone came to my door and I closed my eyes, trying to set my mind free of the turmoil. It only took a few moments before I could feel my consciousness start to drift. All was dark around me until I sensed the familiar presence of a spirit. I would've thought it was Casita, had the spirit not been red. I opened my mind's eye and saw the floating, red spirit. I could feel the confusion and the loneliness that the soul felt. 

"Hello, my name is Rosa. I can help you, if you wish. Are you having trouble finding the light?" The words left my mouth as I tried to focus on the spirit more, trying to grasp their soul to anchor it. "Elena Montoya.... Please...... find my kids. Tell them- I'm sorry."  It was as if we were talking through walkie talkies and the signal was going out. I tried to hold on to Elena, but she slipped from me, disappearing into thin air. 

When I broke out of my meditative state, I noticed how late it was. I made my way into bed and tried to fall asleep. Tomorrow, I would try to find out more about Elena Montoya. Maybe I could help her cross over. 

~.~.~

Breakfast was rough. I was having a bad day; I was extremely sensitive to light. It might've been because of yesterday, my Gift going haywire like it did. When Abuela had seen me wearing my sunglasses, she sucked her teeth but didn't say anything. Mama had seen, rubbing my shoulder and leading me to the table. "Sit, Mija. I'll get your plate. You look unwell today." A small smile grew on my face as I thanked Mama. "Gracias, Mama. Te amo."

As if the pain in my eyes wasn't enough, I could hear Mirabel loudly talking to Luisa about something and my head started to pound. I was sat next to Luisa and Mama, across from Camilo. 

"Family, we are all thankful for Antonio's wonderful new-" Abuela stops and lets out a strained, "gift." I glance up from the table and slightly laugh as I see some animals in Abuela's seat. Antonio, totally oblivious to Abuela's shock, smiles brightly at her. "I told them to warm up your seat." He says excitedly. She smiles at him hesitantly, "Thank you, Tonito. " She gently pushes the animals away and continues her speech. "I'm sure today we will find a way to put your blessings to good use."