Starting Anew

As Mirabel grasped the door handle and placed it, a gust of gold dust enveloped the house. On our door, a picture of our family was engraved, Mirabel at the center of us. Gasps were heard all around us as we all observed the new doorway to our home, our Casita. The familiar tune of the tiles made me smile as Casita used the windows to wave at us. Mira raises her hand in greeting, "Hola, Casita." Alight with a new energy, Casita ruffles the tiles again before using the brick path to shuffle Mirabel into the house. Mirabel turns to us with a big smile as we stood watching her. "Come on, get in here!" 

Casita shuffles us all into the house as excited chatter sounds around us, we all start whooping in excitement. As we all enter in a crowd, I feel the familiar dawning of the auras around me and let out a slight cringe. Antonio is already riding on the back of his jaguar, Parce, and Isa has a wardrobe change with her newfound flower powers. She extends her cacti to the wall with a shout of "Yeah!" and sprouts a giant cactus in a pot, perfect for Luisa to pick up with her returned strength. 

Antonio guides two donkeys, riding on one of them, to then toss Luisa onto a cozy, orange hammock where she crosses her legs and takes a coconut drink, clearly relaxing. A smile comes to my face, despite the headache at the raging colors around me. With a sliver breeze passing me, a quick whisper reaches my ears. "If you focus, you can turn it off." With this new revelation, I close my eyes, focus and open them again. 

With my newly brown eyes, my headache was gone, and I watched as the sun poured throughout the room. A laugh leaves me, but it's cut off as someone grabs my hand and brings me into a twirl. Quickly seeing that it's Tia Pepa and Tio Felix, I start dancing with her under her cloud of hail. A shriek of laughter leaves me as I hug Tia Pepa with glee. All of a sudden, the tiles move under our feet again and the whole family, even Tio Bruno and Mirabel, are brought together for a picture as Casita shakily brings a camera over. With a wide smile, I let my Gift come back and sigh as the colors shone brightly. 

Startled exclamations leave my family's lips as, due to our high emotions, our auras are shone from my gift. Now everyone in the room can see as our auras shine brightly, mixing and mingling with the others. A giggle leaves my mouth when Abuela looks to me in surprise, giving me a smile. "Everyone, together!"

                           "La Familia Madrigal!"

At the last second, Casita uses the tiles to push us all together, all squished together as Parce jumps with Tonio on his back. Even though the picture was far from perfect, we knew we didn't need to take another one. With big smiles, we all fell to the floor in a big pile of Madrigal. Giggles and laughter filled the air as the village slowly left us to ourselves. Luisa gets up and starts helping people up, starting with Abuela and Mama. Abuela smiles fondly as she brushes off her dress. Since I was next to Mama, Luisa went to help me get up but instead, I pulled her back down into the pile that was now just my sisters and me. I let out a laugh as I pulled her into a hug, Isa and Mira joining us. "I got you! Ha ha!" As we were laughing, our auras rose high again and mingled, once again, creating a lilac silver this time. A smile came onto my face as I showed my sisters. 

"Look. This is us." 

"Wow!" 

"That's amazing." 

"I can't believe she can do that!" 

"What a wonderful gift."

My head snapped up as the last comment was heard. Abuela looks to me with a fond smile. "My Rosa, I am so sorry for how I treated you. I truly wish that there was something that I could do to change what I did." Solemnly, I stand with a soft smile. Feeling a presence, i turn to the side and beam, turning back to Abuela. "It's okay, Abuela. If you're okay with it, there's another part of my gift that I'd like to show you." I pause. "Actually, to all of you." My family comes to me, with both support and slight hesitation. I hold my hand out to my empty side and watch as he takes my hand. 

Focusing, silver dust comes from my hand and envelopes the one that I'm holding, spreading across their body. Slowly, their body comes into view and gasps ring out throughout Casita. The familiar warmth in my hand spreads until my whole body is consumed with it. Finally, I open my eyes to see my family's faces. Many looked shocked, surprised. Tia Pepa had a rain cloud, as per usual. This time, everyone was too shocked to care about getting wet. My eyes trail to Abuela with hesitation that faulters when I see her. Her face pulled back in shock, her hand covering her mouth as tears gather in her eyes. Finally, I turn to my right to meet his eyes. 

Abuelo Pedro stares back at me with a warmth that fills my soul. "Pedro." "Papa." "Abuelo." Abuela takes a step towards us. Abuelo smiles brightly and goes to put his hand on her cheek, she leans into the warmth. Seeing this moment, I smile. "Papa Pedro wanted to tell you that he is alright, Abuela. He missed you but he's been watching over you, over or family, for all of these years." My Mama, Tia Pepa, and Tio Bruno step up next to Abuela. "Papa, we've missed you." 

Abuelo puts his right hand on Mama's forehead, his forehead to Bruno's, and uses my hand to touch Tia Pepa's head. A wave or energy leave us and the twins all gasp, tears filling their eyes. "We've missed you too." Mama says. "Abuelo is very proud of you, of all of you. You've grown to be beautiful and just how he'd hoped you'd be. Even you, Tio. He's very proud of you." Tio Bruno looks to me and starts sobbing, noisily wiping his nose on his dusty clothes. Tia Pepa and Mama go to give him hugs to calm him down as Abuelo watches with a fond smile on his face. The sisters lead their brother to the side so that the grandkids could have their turn. 

As my sisters and cousins step forward in shock, their mouths agape. "Abuelo wants me to tell you all that he's proud of you." He looks to me with a smile. "I'm sorry, he's proud of us. He has been watching over us on the other side as we've grown or are still growing." We all look to Tonio who blushes. "Everyone joins hands. Starting with my left-hand meeting Dolores's right, we all grab hands and watch as Abuelo finishes the circle by grabbing Antonio's little hand. Instantly, we feel the connection between us grow stronger and some of us gasp. 

After we'd let go, I watched as Isa wiped a tear, wrapping an arm around Luisa who was crying like Tio Bruno. She's really sensitive. Dolores picked up Antonio and they all went to their perspective sides with their parents. As Abuelo and I took a step back, I turned to him. "This is goodbye, isn't it? You won't be there to comfort me anymore?" He softly smiles at me. I didn't know what to do, Abuelo had always been there for me whenever I was upset. "What am I supposed to do without you?" Tears fell from my eyes, tears that I didn't know I even had. Abuelo takes my face in his hands and turns my face to my left. To my family. 

As they stood there with sad smiles on their faces, tears falling and arms wrapped around each other, I realized. I can count on them. My whole life, I could've counted on them, but I was so scared, I blocked off that possibility from myself. Flashes went through my mind of all the times that Isa gave me pep talks about my Gift, or whenever Luisa would stand in front of the sun to block my sensitive eyes. Other moments of when Mira and Antonio would cheer me up after someone had made fun of me. Moments where I stayed with Tia Pepa and Tio Felix whenever Tia Pepa was upset. Times when Mama would wrap her arms around me and comfort me while Papa wrapped his arms around the both of us. Or whenever Dolores would sit next to me at breakfast and play with my hair to distract me from the headaches. 

As all of these moments rushed through, a sob leaves my mouth as I run towards my family, stopping in the middle as we all hug. Turning, I raise a hand in goodbye as Abuelo does the same as his body slowly fades away from view. Sniffling, I turn to Abuela and wrap her in a hug. I could tell she was surprised as it took her a second before she hugged me back. 

"Thank you, Rosa. I'd never gotten to say goodbye." 

Hola, Chicxs!! I'm so sorry that it's been a while, things have been really hectic in my life the past few months. Even though I've written through the whole movie, I think I may keep it going with little side stories but as of right now, I'm going off book. I just don't think I'm ready to say goodbye to Rosa yet.  If anyone has any ideas, or even as requests for Rosa, please comment or message me. I'm pretty open to anything and can make a lot of things work. 

Thank you all for reading and I hope it was worth your time. 

Sincerely, Emily