Chapter 12: An Ally Airborne

As I approached the trees, I saw that flash again.
I touched down right outside the border, carefully making my way inside. I heard a mind, it was familiar.
"Thunder!" I called out, the Airborne way, proper procedure. "Thunder!" If I could have seen those flashes, other SkyWings could've spotted them too. I have to get him out of here.
Then, I heard a twig snap over my steps. I froze, looking in the direction. He was close.
"Travers?"
You're... you're not Moon.
"Travers! It's me!"
"Who are you?" He suddenly boomed out. At least it was a relief to hear his voice.
"I'm Gracebringer. I'm with Marvin. He told you over the radio, remember?"
It was then a gigantic wave of relief rolled over the both of us. He stepped out of his concealment. The surprisingly well groomed and clean soldier stepped out into the moonlight.
"Grace! Where's Marvin? Where's the Captain?" He looked around.
"Yeah, about that-"
There! Over there! Another mind pierced the silence.
That's where I saw it! Scarlet could be in there!
"Oh no."
"What? What's going on?"
I looked back, spotting two red SkyWings making a beeline toward us.
"SkyWings. They know about your camp. Quick! Grab as much as you can!"
He ran back, I followed after him. We came upon his camper's cove. A hammoc, a large tent, a campfire ringed with rocks. An inexplicable well with a little wooden bucket dawn to it. I grabbed what I could, stuffing them into my pouches. I heard the wingbeats getting closer.
"We need to go!"
Travers came out holding two duffle bags laden with stuff.
"Are you kidding me."
Then the world lit up with fire and orange. I ducked, moving to chamoflage. Travers disappeared, but I tracked his mind fleeing. I grabbed his two duffles, clipping them onto my vest, flying after him.
I intercepted him leaving the forest. The poor soldier running away from his torched camp. I swooped down, grabbing him. His mind filled with white.
"No! Put me down! I'm not becoming dragon food! Put me down!"
"Easy killer!" I craned my neck to look at him. "It's me. I got you."
Travers about fainted from relief. "Where are we going?"
"Somewhere other than here."
I flew on.
"Can I... ride on your back?"
"Huh? Oh yeah, sure."
I rolled, so that he was now on top of my belly. He gingerly climbed around, while I slowly rolled to keep him upright. He took his position, holding onto my spikes.
"What the hell we're you doing?" I looked back at him.
"Doing what?" He asked back.
"Those flashes. That's what gave you away. That's why those SkyWings came."
"Oh." He hung his head. "I was trying to light a fire."
"Oh." I realized, nodding. "Don't you know how to create a concealed fire?"
"No." He deftly said. "Marvin knows how to make one. Not me."
"Hmm." I nodded again. "Well I know how, I can show you. And maybe not get caught again."
"Yeah." He chuckled.
But then I felt Travers' duffles swing against my chest.
"Travers," I looked back towards him, "why on earth did you need TWO duffles?" I felt his face go red. "How on earth did you get a well and a hammock in your camp. We barely had a tent!"
"Well I uh..."
I sighed. "You enchanted them, didn't you?"
"It's not like I enchanted anything large!" He suddenly get defensive. "My soul is safe! Why are you making such a big deal of it!"
I lowered my voice. "I'm just worried for you."
Travers looked at me for a moment, then scoffed. "Now I know you were raised by Marvin. You sound exactly like him."
I wasn't sure how to take that.
"Well, either way, I'm sure he'll be thrilled to hear that you're safe."
"Yeah huh."
We flew for a little longer, before I zoomed and woke Travers up by nearly smacking his head against my back.
"Hey! What was that for?" He exclaimed.
"I meant radio him dummy." Oops. Didn't mean to call him a dummy.
"Yes ma'am." He grumbled, retreating the radio from his chest. "3-1 calling 1-1. 3-1 calling 1-1. Over."
There was a brief period of silence, were I could feel Marvin fumbling for the radio.
"Travers? 1-1 responding. How copy? Over."
"Marvin did you send a big 'ol NightWing after me?"
"Grace? You got Grace?"
"I'm here Marvin!" I called back.
"YESS! You made it! How are you guys doing?"
"I'm doing fine... now that I have someone to argue with." Travers looked down at me.
"Ah ha."
"Well, be careful Travers. She carries my rank, and she'll whoop your ass if you go against her."
"I think he already knows." I said, folding my wings in closer and threatening to zoom again.
"I've found that out." Travers quickly responded.
"Alright. Well... I've rondevued with Turtle and the rest of the winglet. I'm sorry I wasn't there to greet you. I was helping harvest a maize field. By the way, how's Peril?"
"Umm." I shivered. "About that."
"Wait a minute." Travers interrupted. "That looks like- Contact! Three SkyWings! Two o'clock! Range: 800!"
I scanned where he pointed, spotting the three dragons, barely contrasted in the pitch sky. They looked like little blurs, but there was the gentle illumination of one that gave some contrast to the others.
"Hold still!" Travers said, pulling his packs together. I hovered as stead as I could, Travers looking through his set of glasses.
"If that's who I think it is-"
"It's Peril." He bluntly said. "Contact: Peril, two other SkyWings." Over the radio.
"If that's Peril, than the other two are-

Peril. A different Peril.
The reigning tyrant, of torture to many.
And another, who is not as he seems.

"Chameleon and Queen Scarlet." I finished.
"Chameleon? SCARLET?" I could only imagine what was going through his head. "Grace, Travers, you need to get out of there."
"I can't just leave Peril!" I screamed. "That's my mission! I can't abandon my friend, your friend!"
"Peril's a firescales dragon! She'll be fine. Unlike her, we can still get very much hurt!" Travers yelled down to me.
"Grace, please. I can't let you go into a situation I know will get you killed."
"Says the human to the future-seeing dragon."
Travers frowned at me. I could just hear Marvin sigh.
"If you saw the future, and you know you'll be okay, you can go."
I looked back at Travers, he looked back at me.
"I cant future see flying like this."
Travers bit his lip, clicking the radio. "We'll be fine Marvin. She has backup."
Marvin chuckled over the radio. "Alright. Fine. If Scarlet can tango with TWO animus dragons, then we'll have a much bigger problem on our hands than Goldman. Just... stay safe. Okay? Don't get into any more trouble than you have to, and that's an order."
Travers chuckled. "We'll do our best Captain."
Marvin chuckled again. "Stay safe guys. If you get into trouble, radio. I'll be there by the next sunrise."
"Like you have anything that could get you here that quick."
"I'll find a way. I find that I can be pretty convincing when I have to."
"You can be any God-damned anything if you have to Marvin."
"Alright. We'll keep you posted. Until then..."
"Copy that. God's speed and God's bless."
"Wilco." I said back.
"3-1 and..." Travers looked at me.
"1-4"
"1-4 out."
"1-1 out."
I sighed, at least getting to hear his voice again. It felt like forever.
"Alright." Travers brought his M1 to bear. "Let's go see what they're up to."
I banked around, plotting to intercept the wing, looking to be bound for the palace.
"Can you see anything?" I asked.
"No." He adjusted himself. "Nothing so far."
"And that's all you ever will see."
I recognized that voice. I RECOGNIZED that voice!
"Travers!"
My vision filled with purple.