Chapter 19: Until Grace

Glassware clinked, salutations and toasts echoed around the ballroom. Dragons with glasses and cups and tumblers and plates stacked high with food, all milled about on the floor.
I just stood against our corner, breathing slowly and deliberately as I watched the ongoing party. Travers leaned against the wall beside me, resting his muddy boot on the pure white marble. The occasional SkyWing eyed him, one even approached, thinking to swipe him from me. He was met with a growl, and a prod from a bayonet. They mostly left us alone. I was not a party person anyways.
Finaly, Marvin, our designated man, managed to separate himself from the crowd of dragons, somehow balancing three planks, with enough food to feed all of us for weeks.
"Traver, help me with thi-" "Sure." He had already started and took hold of the unwieldy boards.
They set up a makeshift table. A little slanted, because of the uneven planks, but a table nonetheless. And the angle was shallow enough that nothing rolled off. Marvin produced a pitcher, while Travers produced a flask.
"That better not be from the medbag." Marvin eyed him with scorn.
"No, this one's mine." He set it on the table. "Infinite bourbon anybody?"
First, Marvin's mind instantly went to the first aid benefits of higher proof bourbon over brandy, then slapped the flask out of Travers's hand.
"I sware to God, Travers! I leave you alone for a week and you not only use your magic, but you use it to make a frickin infinite flask of bourbon!" Marvin leaned over, pulling the medic bag out of one of the duffles. Me and Travers watched in awe as he dug out the brandy flask, slammed it down in front of Travers, took the bourbon flask, and shoved that into the med bag.
"Hey! What-"
"Bourbon is a better disinfectant and antiseptic Travers. It has a higher proof of alcohol than the brandy I have." He looked at Travers, who returned a blank stare. "It's better if you get a cut or scrape Travers." He plainly said. "Drink that instead. It's obsolete now."
Travers just eyed it, and then picked it up, raising it to his lips. I felt a faint metallic taste come through, although the crowd in close proximity masked it for a moment. It didn't mask Travers's scowl.
"Gahh. Where did you get this?"
Marvin shrugged. "Ask McManis."
Then Travers seemed to have a flash of recognition come over him. "Yeah, why dont we?" He motioned to Marvin.
He nodded, drawing the handy-tally off from his chest. The enchanted SCR-536, the type of radio that caused me so much trouble.
"1-1 calling 2-3. McManis, do you copy?"
There was brief moment of static.
He tried again. "1-1 calling 2-3. McManis, are you there?"
Still, there was nothing but silence.
Marvin and Travers and I exchanged wideeyed glares, as he tried one last time. "McManis... are you there?"
The entire pressure of the world rising to a single...
shaky...
breath.

"2-3 here. McManis copies. Over."
A cheer went up around our table, as smiles and patts were shared all around.
"Good to hear McManis. How are you doing? Over."
"Just fine Marvin. I've gotten in good with the locals. Still camping out by this abandoned kingdom. How is your status? Over?"
Marvin met me looking at him.
"Well, we found Travers!"
"Hey McManis!" Travers leaned over into the mic-piece."
"He-hey, Travers! Alright!"
"And we are proud to report Scarlet is K.I.A. Over."
"Scarlet? The Scarlet?"
"Queen of the SkyWings alright!" Travers exclaimed. But me and Marvin held more of a somber tone.
"Well that's good! One less enemy to worry about. How is your status?"
Me and Marvin both exchanged glances, before he clicked back on the radio. "We're currently rearming and regrouping. We're heading for you next McManis. Over.
"I was going to say, that sounds like a full on party behind you Marvin."
Ahh. Busted.
"It's not mine. The SkyWings are just celebrating their new Queen and the death of Scarlet." Marvin explained.
I drew my attention up, up towards the one balcony overlooking the party. There, I spied three dragons. One, an immaculate red, another smaller red dragonett, and lastly: Peril stood up there.
In her mind, I felt her at peace, for the first time in a long time, if ever. She had to be accepted back into the SkyWings, no doubt. And her actions, even if she joined the enemy for a moment, saved her Queen and allowed us enough time to stop whatever Goldman tried to do. She was a bonafide hero if there ever was one.
"Alright. Well... stay alert. We're coming to get you McManis."
"With all haste Marvin. 2-3 out."
"1-1 out."
Marvin set the radio down with a sigh, rubbing his eyebrows.
"So?" Travers asked.
Marvin looked up at him, then looked at me. I felt the pressure building in his chest. I knew he couldn't keep it a secret forever.
"Travers?" He suddenly asked. "Do you... do you want to stay, with us?"
Travers' face instantly contorted to confusion. "What do you mean? Like... stay and fight?"
"No." Marvin hung his head. "I'm asking you if you would like to resign." That made him back up a step. "Travers, I've had some time to think things over, and I realize... I never really gave you a choice." They met each other. "You remember when we first met, and we were with Captain Campana, I insinuated if you would like to come with. I never asked you directly."
"And I said 'of course.' Marvin-"
"But then we somehow got sucked into all this mess. Teleported to Pyrrhia, our plane crashing, forced to wage war against a fellow member of the Airborne." He stood up, looking out onto the crowd. "When I was in Possibility, I had a lot of time to think things over. A lot of time to look back and see where I could improve." He turned around. "And the one thing I'm trying to work on is being a better leader. But that starts with a choice. You know how it is-"
"Volunteer forces are always better than conscripts." I answered for him.
He nodded gravely. "So... I'm asking Travers. This isn't an order, or a suggestion, or any cleverly disguised mishmash." He walked up, standing next to Travers. They looked at eachother dead in the eye. "I'm asking if you want to stay here Travers. Settle down, make a living. No more fighting, no more battles. Goldman won't go after you, I can at least guarantee that. Live the life you want to here. You don't have to listen to me." He said that more of a statement than a benefit.
But now, Travers stared with his eyes so wide open. Thankfully, I had disabled my mindreading. But just on his face alone, I saw so many thoughts whirling around like a hurricane.
Stay? Don't stay.
Fight? Surrender?
Be a hero? Or... be alive.
He stood that way for a long moment, before the slight sting of tears began to well in his eyes.
Marvin took that as a sign, beginning to turn away. But Travers stepped up, catching him by his uniform.
Marvin turned back around, seeing his sobbing soldier. He fought back his tears, swallowing them down to try and speak.
"Marvin... I will never abandon you. You never abandoned me. You sent Grace, you rescued me... more times than I dare to count." He looked away, contemplating for a moment. "If I'm a cowardly, hot-headed, no-good, son-of-a-bitch, then so be it! But I am under your command Captain."
The Sergeant raised the best salute he could muster. A dirty, clean shaven, grimy, spoiled, scared, but confident soldier stood before us. As much as he wanted to go home any more than we did, this wasn't his home. If he had the chance, he was going all the way.
It was his rondevu with destiny.
Marvin nodded, pulling him into a hug. I enveloped the two with my wings, also sharing an embrace.
"Welcome back Travers." Marvin patted him on the back.
"Good to be back Marvin." He returned the patts.
They parted, and pulled in the platter of chicken Marvin stole. I gazed happily over the surrounding party, watching dragons finally out at ease, music playing all around, a kingdom rejoicing. And to think, I helped do that.
No. Peril did that. We just made sure it went smoothly.
"A toast to Peril!" I raised a borrowed glass.
"To Peril!" "To Peril!" The two soldiers raised their flask and canteen. Downing a good sip of their respective liquids. Water was good, I was thirsty anyways.
As I tipped up my glass, I looked up towards Peril, Queen Ruby, and Cliff standing happily with each other. Peril and Ruby were exchanging conversation, while Cliff frolicked around the two. But Peril's changed demeanor is what made me smile. She held her head higher, now with the confidence of a good person. She saved, rescued so many others. She was a hero amongst the SkyWings, and amongst Jade Mountain. Hell, she was a hero everywhere.
You could imagine my concern when she suddenly frowned and looked down towards the floor. Suddenly, a palace guard swooped up and landed on the balcony along with them.
By now, all three of us were looking on with concern. The crowd didn't realize it yet, and their mental conversations masked me from listening into Peril's mind;
"Captains?" Travers stood, walking around to try and get a better view.
Marvin was leaning over from his seat, but he brought his Springfield onto his lap. Unloaded, but ready in case we had to move. And judging from all the signs, we most likely we're going to depart soon.
"Pack up." Marvin said solemnly to Travers.
He looked back at him, then glanced at me, before shoving as much food as he could into containers, and shoving them into the duffles.
I shuffled my wings, a shiver running up and down from my neck to my tail. I adjusted the weight of the duffles on me, although I was large enough that they barely made a difference when I was flying. Heck, I could touch the roof of this ballroom if I stood up bipedal.
"Set." Travers slammed and tapped home the last piece of cookware firmly shut.
Marvin boosted Travers onto my black, before climbing on himself. While I continued keeping eyes on the nervous conversation between Peril, Ruby, and Turtle.
Suddenly, a large shape of red gracefully glided down from the balcony, followed by a smaller, similar, but less seasoned shape. I ran up after Queen Ruby.
"Queen Ruby!"
She almost looked startled. "Oh. You are with Peril, right?"
"That's right." Marvin said for us.
Ruby sighed. "Soar has escaped. Peril is going after him.
"That's not good." Travers said.
"Okay. We'll support Peril and Turtle. Thank you Queen Ruby."
"Thank you Queen Ruby." I bowed on behalf of the men on my back. But once the pleasantries were done, I practically turned on a dime and shot up to the balcony.
The structure groaned and lurched under the weight of the three of us. But I met up with Peril and Turtle.
"You big sap," he said to Peril. "And I can't even punch you to shut you up."
"You could," Peril countered. "That would be pretty funny for me."
He flicked his tail at her and lifted off, sailing through the open roof and into the star-speckled sky. Peril and I briefly exchanged glances before she followed after him.
"Right-of-way." Marvin made a waving salute with his hand.
With a swift thrust of my wings, we were airborne the next moment, feeling the rush of cold wind against my midnight wings. We quickly regrouped alongside Peril and Turtle. While she flew, she cherished every moment that she got farther away from that enchanted necklace, she felt more and more like herself again. No more troubling or guilty thoughts about Scarlet; nothing but clear memories of Clay.
Can I go back to Jade Mountain now?
Have I done enough?
Even I took a hesitant breath at that. Maybe not instantly. Let your deeds circulate a bit, then let your reputation speak for itself.
But these questions somehow felt less pressing than they had felt to her before. She still, without a doubt, missed Clay very much — but she still had important things to do. Such as finding her father, get that scroll into talons that could be trusted, and maybe help Turtle and his friends stop some big new terrible prophecy, if they'd have her. Which they will. If not, Marvin and I will fight tooth, nail, and claw for her.
"If he's a NightWing, he'll blend right in up here," Turtle called after us, lashing his tail in frustration.
"Any sightings?" I called back to Marvin and Travers. Both of them were scanning around with glasses and scopes.
"No contact." "Nothing yet."
I snorted, sighing. He couldn't have gotten too far.
It would have been a good night to search too. One of the moons was almost full, but leftover clouds and fog from the storm hid most of the moonlight from the mountain peaks, cutting visibility.
"We need help." Turtle suddenly relented, before angling south abruptly.
"What?" I asked suprised.
"Uh-oh," Peril said. "Tell me we're not off to find a mind reader and an IceWing who might be holding a grudge."
Me and Marvin exchanged glances.
She still doesn't know I'm a mindreader too? I shook my head, a little confused.
"I left them in that valley," Turtle said, pointing. "They said to signal when I needed them." His scales began flashing, and Peril nearly flew into a cliff, she was so startled. But I knew that the light would likely get caught up in the mist. I flew up behind him, putting him between me and the place he pointed. I mirrored my scales to reflect and concentrate his bright, flashing lights in his direction, hopefully increasing the range of detection. Bright luminescent spirals and shapes lit up all along his wings, glowing a brilliant green. A bright beacon amidst the dim mist, and I was directing his light. It was sort of beautiful, in a strange, roundabout kind of way..
Almost immediately, we spotted two, twin, pillars of flame answering from the dark valley below us, no more than a half-a-mile out. And not long after that contact, three shapes rose up to meet us. Two of them stuck out against the dim sky as pale and ghostly, but one friend was barely a flicker of shadow in the dark. A guardian angel in the night.
"You did it?" Qibli said as soon as they were close enough to talk. "You actually ... rescued her?"
"Not exactly," Peril said. "But thanks very much for the skeptical tone," Turtle looked over at her.
"Is she safe to be around?" Winter suddenly asked harshly.
"What do you think?"
He tilted his head at Moon, before realizing I was there also, before looking at me for the answer.
"I AM," Peril deftly said. She thought MUSHROOMS AND MONGOOSES at us NightWing as loud as she could. Moon started giggling, while I attempted to hold back a smirk. Marvin just shook his head, hiding a smile.
"That seems like a good sign," said Qibli, giving Moon a smile that reminded Peril of that NightWing who always followed Queen Glory around. Deathbringer.
Really? I looked down at her.
"Guys, we don't have time for a prickly reunion," Turtle suddenly interrupted. "Scarlet's ally has escaped and it's worse than we thought. He's a shapeshifter, so he can look like a dragon from any tribe. And he's got this animus-touched scroll that can enchant anything, as far as we can tell."
Moon let out a yelp so loud it echoed off the mountains and nearly made me fling off Marvin and Travers
"A scroll?" she cried. "Really? You're sure?"
"Easy-" I tried to comport her,
She looked towards me. Was it... it?
I took a breath.
"Uh — yes," Turtle said. "We saw it." He nodded to me. I could do nothing, she saw my eyes. She knew.
Moon was deeply agitated now. Scarlet's ally has Darkstalker's scroll. Ohh, what has he done with it? Where is it?
Peril regarded her with new interest.
Was this NightWing hiding something from all of us, even her alleged friends?
"What do you know about this scroll?" Peril asked, almost interrogating us.
"Nothing!" Moon said. "Absolutely nothing." I stated alongside her.
"Grace?" I heard a murmur from my back.
"Was it wrapped in a black leather casing?" Moon looked desperately towards Turtle
"Yeess," Turtle responded, staring concerned back towards her.
"Maybe you should tell us all the 'nothing' you know about it," Peril suggested. I glared at her.
"I just," Moon hung her head. "I heard a story once," she said. Me and Marvin sucked air. I felt Travers looking between us, concerned. "about a NightWing scroll from long ago that was animus-touched. It sounds like this could be the same scroll." She fidgeted anxiously, twitching her tail over her talons. If we weren't in the air, I would've wanted to cover her with my wings and hold her close. She eyed me with glossy, green, eyes before looking back to Peril. "That would be bad. We would really, really need to get it back, if it's the same scroll. That's what I know."
Moon looked at me directly, I just took a shaky breath.
Was it him? The dragon?
I tried thinking. I didn't see him directly, but the strange feeling from his mind was similar to the buzz when we encountered him before. Indirect confirmation at best. Peril's mind was flaring up too much to see if she recognized anything about him. I just looked back at her with contemplative eyes, taking a hesitant breath.
"I was hoping you could try listening for him," Turtle said, looking to us. "He escaped the palace not long ago, so he can't have gone too far."
"He's in his NightWing form," Peril added. "The one where he calls himself Shapeshifter."
"Very subtle," remarked Qibli.
"Shh," Moon said, closing her eyes. I did too, listening around. But I didn't hear anything beyond everyone here. Moon summed it up. "I don't think I could pick up anything from way up here."
"Let's fly along the river," Peril said. "I have a feeling he's gone that way. He said something to me about becoming MudWings."
We saw the hesitation in their wingbeats — should we trust this dragon? Are we really going to follow her?
"Then that's our best bet. On Peril!" Marvin ordered.
Once Peril turned and swooped away, and Turtle and I followed right beside her, the others weren't too far behind.
Going to the MudWings sounded like the next thing my father would do. He wouldn't become Cirrus again, now that I know that shape. I guess he wouldn't be comfortable underwater, even in a SeaWing form — and he'd have to worry about keeping the scroll dry. Going west to the SandWings meant Queen Thorn, who already had a reputation as someone impossible to corrupt. And I can't imagine him returning to the rainforest, either as a RainWing or a NightWing.
But the MudWings were close, and Queen Moorhen had once been Scarlet's ally. She might be willing to take in a strange dragon who offered mysterious power in exchange for treasure.
I nodded in confirmation at her logic, even Marvin went along.
As Peril dove toward the Diamond Spray River, which was glimmering like molten silver in the places where moonlight broke through, Marvin and I brought everyone up to speed. Travers manned the radio, warning McManus was was about to conspire. The two of them loaded their special wooden rounds in case of a fight.
"Travers." Marvin handed him a small bundle.
"Marvin, those are armor piercing rounds! Those are yours-"
"M1 Armor-Piercing rounds. M1 ball is the best kind of round used for sniping and accurate fire. Faster, flatter trajectory, and harder to be jerked around by the wind. The heavier penetrator not only lets it fly further and more accurately, but it'll even tackle light armor at-a close range."
I felt him offer the bundle, but Travers refused it.
"It's your ammo-"
"Travers," Marvin stopped him. "I carry two pouches on me, four clips each. What does anything on Earth needs 40 rounds of M1 AP rounds to kill?"
Travers still hesitantly accepted the offer.
Suddenly Moon banked right and stopped, hovering in place with her front talons pressed to her head. I flew over to where she was and closed my eyes too, Marvin looked over with his glasses. After a moment, she lifted one of them and pointed. Everyone's attention drew to where she said.
"I think he's over there," she whispered.
Here we go. Travers placed a fresh clip of dummies in his rifle.
We slipped after her, gliding as quietly as they could. Marvin called out a shape, and I saw it materialize in the dark.
There... in a clearing by the river, fiddling with something in his talons, hulked a large, black, shape.
He made himself enormous, Peril thought. The kind of scary NightWing everyone has always whispered about.
That's him. Moon shakily thought. I grit my teeth as tears threatened to well.
Qibli flicked his wing at us, then signaled for us to surround him. I glided around alongside Moon. I heard safeties click off.
A moment later, we had encircled Chameleon.
Peril drew first out of the dark, her talons mere inches from his tail.
"Don't move," she growled.
I heard the shuffle of rifles being aimed.