Chapter 14: Through The Kingdom Of Sand

I paced around my dank, stone cell, lined with the special Skywing metal that couldn't be melted except for firescales. My muzzle was also tightly chained with the stuff, which also prevented me from using my breath weapons. The damn bastard also enchanted away my magic.
I was a just a NightWing now. Alone, and imprisoned.
Was this how the Dragonets of Destiny felt? Was this how Marvin felt when he was imprisoned by the RainWings?
I shook those thoughts away, thinking of how I was getting out.
They blindfolded me. I don't know where I am. There are no windows or vision slits or anything. The meals seem staggered, with no hard schedules. Goldman's smart.
I growled deep in my throat.
When I get out of here, I'm going to tear him limb from limb.
"Aww. It's like you think you're going to get out."
I heard his voice! I swung around to meet him. I saw him walking casually around the corner of my cell. My mind went white as I charged him, nearly breaking my neck when my chains brought me to the ground.
"Oh you poor thing. You thought I was really here too."
Then I realized, there were no other minds. Not that there was the hum of Skyfire, but that there was literally no actual minds where Goldman was standing.
"What do you want from me." I growled, speaking mentally.
"It's more along the lines of what can I do with you."
A tiny sliver of fear broke through, but I steeled myself.
"I know I can't do anything to convince you. You're a very experienced animus for your age."
"I had a good teacher." I growled.
He scoffed. "Marvin? What makes you think anything he says is good?" I frowned. "Think of it: children are so maliable when they're young. Why, dragons could be raised to believe that they're just a weapon used by people, that they can't every change who they are." He walked up to me, widening his eyes. "And that's all they ever will be."
"NO." I tugged my chains. "People can change! Peril can change! Marvin can change!" I looked away. "He believes you can change too."
The man scoffed again. "He still thinks he can change me? The bastard's more stupid than I thought."
I considered tugging my chains again, but I didn't like it either. So much for following whatever Marvin says.
"So." He began. "I know of your powers. I know a lot about you." He got up and circled around. "For instance: I know you were hatched under three moons via animus magic. I also happen to know you have camouflage and fire resistant scales." I looked down at my claws. "You are like me, we both want the best in people. The only question is this: how far would you go... to make people's lives better."
I pondered the question for a moment.
Well, as far as I could, naturally. I want everyone to be happy-
"Satisfied? You mean?"
I canted my head, making my chains rattle. An odd choice of words, but technically correct.
He nodded. "It is much the same for me. I am trying to make the world a better place, but... someone... keeps running my plans. I'm just trying to make the world peaceful. End wars, end the suffering. So that we can all live in peace and equality."
"So... why don't you team up with Marvin then? You both are gunning for the same things."
I noticed he winced when I said his name. Curious.
"Him... me and him are not quite... compatible." He then swiftly walked up to me. "Listen... Gracebringer," He halted my thoughts. "We are both trying for the same goal. As the saying goes: 'the enemy of my enemy is my friend.' So, I suggest we join forces and bring to the world the change that it deserves. With my power and your power, we could make the world more perfe-"
"Stop." I just said. Looking up at the distance. He realized the sudden shift in my tone. "I know who you are. I know what you're trying to do."
The tension in the air grew so thick. A fog bank began to roll in, obscuring what little light seeped under the doorframe. Only a small area around us remained clear enough to see each other.
"Then you must know." He sighed. "That I created you."
I closed my eyes.
"You didn't create me. I was born. I was hatched. You had nothing to do with me."
"Who do you think gave you all these powers? Huh? Animus magic, foresight, mind reading, camouflage, gills; that was all me."
"And I thank you for that." I growled. "But I am not indebted to you."
He stuttered, balancing uneasily on his feet.
"Now... I suggest you leave, and never meet me again. Or I will destroy you." I looked straight into his black, cold, dead, eyes.
He scoffed at me. "You'll come around. No matter how long it takes." He then backpedaled into the fog. I followed him with my eyes as he disappeared.
"I will find him." He mumbled.
"And I'll be with him." I growled back.
I felt his presence leave, and the fog lifted. I took a deep breath, letting it go in an equally drawn out sigh. Feeling the cold steel against my cheek, evreywhere my body rested against the floor. The steel chains felt cool against my wrists.
But then my mind thought to Travers, Marvin, McManis. The three musketeers. The three Airborne.
Travers would be okay. He was in trusted hands. He would be alright.
Marvin, would no doubt come after me. He would convince the Jade Winglet to come after me. They'd find Vaquero, and they'd bring an army to release me. I knew that was going to happen. But... knowing Marvin, it's not a matter of whether or not it is possible, it's how long it takes to gather an army to make it happen. I shivered. Depending on the complement, that might mean anything from hours... to years.
I closed my eyes, letting a tear roll down my cheek. Could I hold out from Goldman that long? I have to. Marvin's coming for me, I have no doubt.
But then my mind shifted again.
This damned mission! Had I have known that I would have gotten captured, by Goldman no-less, I wouldn't have taken this stupid mission! This was a HUGE waste of time and resources that we don't have to spare! I tugged my chains again.
I couldn't will them away this time. My mouth is chained shut. My claws are too big to slip into those locks. I'm trapped. There's nothing I can do.
I collapsed again, laying down with a huff. Hopelessness began to seep into my mind. I could do nothing to change my situation anymore. This is what Marvin feared, what he was most terrified of. He would always look for options, ways to avoid being played.
I looked around my cell, at the black, baren, and smooth walls. The dim cell, only lit by what came in underneith the door, broken by me and the occasional guard.
I couldn't make a plan. I couldn't pick the locks. I couldn't do anything.
It was truely hopeless.
I was at the mercy of Goldman, the worst kind of enemy. And I was supposed to hold out.
For how long?