Part 8

Anurag had expected Mitali to protest, but she accepted Purvi's proposition with no further objections. The absence of dissent in her actions amplified the guilt tied to the noose around his neck.

He struggled to sever the chords, but they continued to pull. He had always looked up to his sister for her bravery and determination, but now she had accepted something that he couldn't even fathom in his worst nightmares, and he knew he was the only one to blame.

When the car from Sinhas arrived to pick Mitali up, his heart skipped several beats and his throat went dry. Mitali, nonchalant and distant, got up from her seat with an ashen face that twisted the dagger lodged in his conscience.

She bid farewell to their mother with a smile that didn't quite reach her eyes, and Pushpa struggled to see past her failing facade. The car went beyond his vision, causing him to feel a wrenching sensation in his heart.

Mitali Pathak was taken aback when she saw Adhrit Sinha in the car with her. Her throat tightened as she realized she had almost left the door open. She hadn't gotten ready to meet him. Not yet.

The man who was supposed to be the father of her first child. The one she had consented to spend the night with and the one she had compelled to be her spouse on paper. The situation they found themselves in made it even harder for her to prepare for their meeting.

A whirlwind of confusion had her trapped. Despite being entangled in the same mess as her, the other person was the polar opposite of her anxious and disheartened self. A simple nod was the extent of their interaction upon their initial eye contact.

Mitali's forehead furrows deepened because of Adhrit's nonchalant behavior. How did he manage to remain so composed? Not long ago, he reminded her of his ability to make her life miserable, but he was ready to spend the night with her? Could it be his way of settling the scores with her for giving it back to him?

She believed it would be as challenging for him as it was for her, but what she saw almost contradicted that. Biting her lower lip, she stopped herself from pulling her hair. Mitali clenched her palms into tight fists and shook her head to dispel the despair drowning her in its dark depths.

Her tumultuous mind struggled to contain the myriad of thoughts and emotions. Did he label her helplessness as desperation in his mind? Did he attach offensive labels to her reputation for accepting the proposal?

Her devotion to her family shattered her self-respect, but she wouldn't allow it to be broken any further. Not in the hands of a stranger. Both his actions and intentions were indecipherable to her. If he went as far as to accompany her, why wouldn't he attempt to strike up a conversation?

She wished to interrogate him, feeling as rattled as she did. Her ego kept her from enjoying the little privileges she craved, even though she wanted to frustrate him with a battle of wits. Her damaged pride stopped her from talking to a man who will sleep with her but not converse.

Why should she be the one to speak first? After all, he could label it as desperation.

The car screeching to a halt pulled out of her reverie her. The man who was the focus of her thoughts descended and opened the door on his side for her. Her mother had made her wear a stylish red anarkali to the 'important conference' she had informed her mother about.

The strong wind made the hem of the skirt flutter, mirroring the way her mind swayed with agony and the realization that the dreaded moment was approaching.

The zephyr hitting her face served as a harsh reminder of reality. She was on the verge of sharing the moments she had dreamed of sharing with the love of her life with a stranger.

She breathed out and decided that she needed to confront Adhrit about the situation, only to see him walking towards the entrance of the hotel.

She walked towards him with lengthy strides. Because of her job's lack of physical activity, she had to put in some strenuous effort to catch up with Adhrit and halt him midway.

"Mr. Sinha, if... you, if you could oblige... me by, uh, opening up about your thoughts... on the, on the current situation, I would be grateful," she said, panting from the effort and her eyes shooting daggers at him.

He told her to hold off on expressing gratitude until his plan was in action, with his eyes revealing no kindness.

An already puzzled Mitali could not take his riddles in stride. Plan? What was he prattling on about?

"This is not the right moment for speaking in riddles, Mr. Sinha. What do you mean by 'plan'?" she asked, the fire in her eyes burning with a vigor that resonated with her pain.

"Please be patient for a while, Miss Pathak. I understand it's a lot to ask right now, but trust me. Just once. You won't regret it. Let's walk and wait together for ten minutes. Please."

His pleading eyes and sincere tone compelled her to listen, and exhaustion made her unable to fight any further. All she desired was peace, an assurance that no one could give her.

Neither of them uttered a single word during those ten minutes that felt like a lifetime. Adhrit's phone rang, shattering the heavy silence between them, causing him to get up and answer it. Mitali chose a seat that was the farthest away from him, intending to maintain that distance for as long as possible.

He approached her, causing her to tense up in apprehension. "Come, Ms. Pathak. Let's go."

Her throat constricted and her heartbeat thundered in her ears. Her fingers and feet trembled, so she pressed her feet to the floor and covered them with the hem of her anarkali to conceal the quiver from his sight.

"But where?" She asked while shuffling in her seat and covering her fingers under the dupatta covering her midriff.

As fear and anxiety took control, adrenaline surged through her blood vessels, and she battled to keep her voice from trembling. The quick thumping of her heart and her uneven breathing made her feel dizzy.

"You must be familiar with All India Institute of Medical Sciences," he said, as he observed her defiant yet shaken posture, while shoving his hands into the side pockets of his trousers.

With surprise on her face, her lips parted, and she gave him an incredulous look. "Yeah, but..."

It puzzled her as to why he would contemplate going to AIIMS at nine in the evening.

"One of my employees has a friend who is a top gynecologist at AIIMS. I was hoping to gain a different viewpoint from her. I presumed even you would find merit in this action. I wanted you to accompany me on a walk because my driver would leave in ten minutes. I'm sorry if anything I did made you feel uncomfortable."

Realization dawned on her and her eyes widened. His confession added to her troubled mind's confusion. But one thing was clear - Adhrit Sinha was beyond her comprehension. It was a pleasant realization caused admiration to sprout in her almost barren heart, which had been filled with complaints against him.

_________________________________________________

What do you think of these two? Have any favorites yet? Please VOTE and COMMENT!