Part 13

"You can't go inside, sir!" said the security guard, prompting a surprised reaction from both Adhrit and Mitali. Mitali raised her eyebrow in surprise while Adhrit furrowed his in annoyance.

"What?! Did you drink early today?" asked Adhrit. He was familiar with the security guard's recreational pursuits outside of work.

"I'm sorry, sir. Madam instructed us to stop the two of you here and inform her of your arrival." He pointed to his colleague calling residents of Sinha Mansion and said, "She mentioned it was to ensure a proper welcome."

Adhrit muttered curses under his breath and rolled his eyes. The young entrepreneur had no trouble figuring out which 'madam' the guard was talking about. His grandmother intended to ensnare him in a complicated web of unpredictable emotions he tried to avoid.

Mitali concluded it was best to keep quiet. She was torn between the professional line and her emotional attachments, making the idea of the Sinhas welcoming her agonizing.

Morose Purvi stood at the mansion door holding a ceremonial plate to welcome them, while Shanti joined her with a sophisticated and satisfied smirk playing on her lips.

Adhrit attempted to speak, "Di, Dadi..." only to be silenced by Shanti's glare.

Purvi's actions with the plate caused a sense of unease and emotional chaos for Mitali. With reluctance apparent on her face, Purvi applied a dot of vermilion on their foreheads and moved to the side to let them enter.

Each step taken by Mitali to cross the threshold made her heart race. She had knowledge of the expiration date of the palatial mansion's accommodation and its implications. The contract stated she had to be a mother to a newborn by the time of leaving the house, which terrified her.

"Di, was this necessary? You just made Ms. Pathak stand for longer, which is against what the doctor had advised for her," he said, loosening his tie and shaking his head in disdain.

"There was no other way, Adhrit, it was necessary. Although we don't want to endanger Mitali's health, the ritual is crucial. As Adhrit walked by, Shanti's words stopped him in his tracks and brought Mitali back to the present moment. "After all," Shanti said, "she is the daughter-in-law now."

"Excuse me?"

"What?"

Adhrit and Mitali were taken aback and then directed their focus towards Shanti, who appeared unfazed by their piercing stares.

"Dadi, I think you turned delusional!" said Adhrit, through gritted teeth, noticing Mitali's discomfort.

"You seem to have forgotten something, Kaddu. You agreed in the contract to remain married throughout the pregnancy." With a haughty expression on her cold and aristocratic features, she answered that this meant Mitali was the daughter-in-law of the house.

"What the heck?" Adhrit shot an incredulous look at his grandmother and clenched his jaw.

"Ms. Pathak intended to secure legal rights as my wife and establish herself as my spouse in front of others by adding that clause to the contract, Dadi. To establish her claim as the mother of the child, which is what she wants to be known as, she did it. Not to be the Sinha daughter-in-law! Isn't it, Ms. Pathak?" he asked, turning to her.

"Madam, I agree with Mr. Sinha. I had no intention or expectation of receiving the benefits that come with Mr. Sinha's wife when I introduced this clause. I clarified that there are no expectations of your family or your grandson."

The memory of her shattered aspirations, aimed at providing a better future for her family, was revived by her family connections, adding salt to her wounds. The painful reminder brought her attention to the emptiness in her chest and the falsehoods she had told her beloved foster mother.

The situation had already affected her, and she had formed more emotional connections than she intended. She refused to let any more loose threads connect her to Adhrit Sinha. Not if she could help it.

"Mitali, we are aware of that. Our Kaddu is as stubborn as they come. We can be sure that he won't be getting married soon, or at least not in my lifetime. As long as it lasts, let's treat this contract marriage as a real one. It's the closest I can get to my dream."

The matriarch's statement left Mitali bewildered. She believed she was alone in having a family member who prioritizes their personal desires over the dreams of others. However, encountering Shanti, who placed her orphan grandson in a dilemma with her desires, proved her wrong.

"Enough!"

Shanti's smirk vanished as soon as Adhrit spoke. "Dadi, how much worse do you want to make our lives? One after another, wishes and demands keep coming. Don't you possess any empathy to realize the harm you inflict on us? Allow me to introduce you to the truth," Adhrit said as he escorted Mitali to Shanti.

Purvi had foreseen it when Shanti forced her to perform the rituals. Of course, she had given in. Like the last time and every time before that. Despite her reluctance, the immense gratitude she felt towards her grandmother, who took them in after their mother's psychosis, made it impossible to refuse her wishes.

"The lady before you both is someone who put her family first, even if it meant sacrificing for herself. Her self-respect is invaluable to her. What did we do to her? We placed her in a risky position where she lost control of her own destiny. Thanks to you and her brother, she had to bend in ways she never imagined."

A sardonic smile danced over Adhrit's lips as he shook his head. "Her family was her top priority, but she couldn't even say a final farewell to them. Why? Lying to her mother consumed her with guilt. What caused that? The audacious demand to become a great-grandmother."

He shocked the older woman by saying, "You've done enough harm to her. I won't allow you to do any more. Keep her away from your awful dreams."

She had anticipated resistance from both of them. Adhrit's initial resistance, followed by eventual acceptance in previous years, made her believe that the present situation would be the same.

Adhrit had Mitali's undivided attention. Her foster mother, who always understood her every action, couldn't decipher her cryptic behavior. However, the man who she still considered a stranger had not only decoded her behavior but also understood the reason behind it. As she watched the man argue in her favor against his own family, an unfamiliar warmth spread throughout her body.

Without giving them a chance to answer, Adhrit turned around with Mitali's hand in his firm yet gentle grip, guiding her to where they'd stay.